US Supreme Court: Hobby Lobby wins we lose

by designs 89 Replies latest social current

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Good for the Supreme Court ruling in favor of Hobby Lobby.

They were not looking to limit what contraceptive methods are available to their employees, just looking to not have the government force them to pay for methods which were contrary to their religious practices. If the employees want to use a method that the owners of Hobby Lobby feels violates their faith, the employees just have to find a different way to pay for that method, or use one of the contraceptives that the company will pay for.

The employees are free to engage in actions that the company doesn't want to support, but the ruling means that the government can't force the company to support those actions which go against the religious beliefs of the company owners.

Shana

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Shanagirl is living five centuries in the past. We don't allow employers to decide that only whites can receive benefits. Holly Hobby seems out of sync with some historic decisions this past term. Women and their supporters should start lobbying legislatures.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

but the ruling means that the government can't force the company to support those actions which go against the religious beliefs of the company owners

Absurd. The company buys health insurance in bulk based on the number of employees that work there. The employees need a variety of health services. The company is run by bible thumping dickheads that want to stick their noses where it doesn't belong, namely the vagina's/penis's of the employee.

• designs
    designs

LG- this is definitely a High Court Bench dominated by old school thinking guys. How many States have attacked women's rights to their bodies and health without a single decision affecting the guys behavior and personal reproductive health.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

For those interested in the TRUTH of the matter....

Hobby Lobby has been and will continue to provide and pay for 16 out of 20 contraceptive choices available. They only have a problem with 4 out of the 20 due to their religious convictions.

http://www.becketfund.org/hobbylobby/

"The Green family has no moral objection to the use of 16 of 20 preventive contraceptives required in the mandate, and Hobby Lobby will continue its longstanding practice of covering these preventive contraceptives for its employees. However, the Green family cannot provide or pay for four potentially life-threatening drugs and devices. These drugs include Plan B and Ella, the so-called morning-after pill and the week-after pill. Covering these drugs and devices would violate their deeply held religious belief that life begins at the moment of conception, when an egg is fertilized."

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

All of the women justices dissented.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is a defeat for liberty and other issues of personal autonomy. My employer should not control what my doctor does. It is clear that the majority of conservative Catholics has power now. Part of me wants Ginsburg, Breyer to resign stat so Obama can nominate correct thinking replacements. Ginsburg was such an advocate for women's rights for so long. I dream of something incapacitating happening to Clarence Thomas. Only in my fantasies! This should show citizens that judges are political. You win some. You lose some.

Imagine that I worked for a JW cleaning company. They could deny me coverage for necessary blood transfusions. Employers should not dictate what employees do with their bodies. I hear the case being limited to small close corporations with few employees. We can only hope.

• Spectre
    Spectre

I like how much JWs' are being mentioned negatively in the news because of this because of blood transfusions.

My question is this: In all the times I've had insurance, my deductable was in the $2000 range or so. Is there insurance that would actually cover such a small amount as they're saying($9.00 a month for standard birth control pills) without it being a $1000 a month or so?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Spectre, most of the time prescription coverage does not fall under the deductible and usually has its own copay.

• Spectre
    Spectre

Ah! Thanks, GrreatTeacher.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit