Bible's mention of physical beauty- why?

by Magnum 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Xanthippe- Your smug contempt is creepy...

Why go to a religious based forum and spew vile

and hatred against God and the Bible?

Wow! Vile and hatred eh? Projection. I don't hate you.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Writing stories about 'beautiful people', and inserting lots of gratuitous sex & violence was considered by the ancient Jewish writers to be the best way to get their scrolls onto the bestseller list, lol. They didn't have TV and 'Dallas' back then. The OP actually shows the difference between the OT & the NT- the Jewish writers included beautiful women and lots of sex, whereas the Christian writers thought 'spiritual qualities' were beautiful, and sex was verboten. Maybe being beautiful meant a person was blessed by god? IDK...Anything is possible- the Buybull is loopy...

• prologos
    prologos

transhuman, an intereting observation. It could not have been the GREEK influence on the christian Greek scriptures.

They fought the Trojan war over a lady. look at those greek sculptures In their Gymnasiums (from the root naked). and how about

Paul's enjoinder against hairdoes, expensive garb, jewellery,

look how much money, time is spend to enhance our looks? proves the bible viewpoint valid.-at least in that respect?

• blondie
    blondie

What standards...what are the bible standards. Standards of beauty vary worldwide. Will people in the WTS new world all be "beautiful" physically or will people grown younger and fit in the bible view of beauty?

• designs
    designs

Hairy bohemian women

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Why?....because it was written by homo sapiens who are biologically responsive to 'woah mamma' otherwise known as (latin) Hubba-hubba.

• Magnum
    Magnum

prologos - both of your posts have interesting points

Xanthippe - your first comment is in line with what I was thinking. The Bibles' references to physical human beauty, a war between spirits, mighty men, talking snakes & donkeys, a worldwide flood, giants, etc. does seem to group it with Greek, Roman, etc. mythology.

villagegirl - just want you to know that I actually want the Bible to be true. I don't like the idea that we earthly creatures are on our own with no forthcoming help from a higher source. However, I consider myself to be intelligent, reasonable, and honest. There are things about the Bible that don't make sense and/or seem outright wrong. I've overlooked such things for over thirty years as I 'waited on Jehovah' to explain them (actually begging him in prayer to answer or explain). No answer has been provided; instead the quantity and intensity of these things I don't understand and that don't seem right has grown. I really do want an answer and I do wish somebody could prove that the Bible is true and help me with the parts I don't like and don't understand. I am giving thought to what you said in your posts above. Thanks.

Transhuman68 - I gave some thought last night before I submitted the OP to the point you mentioned about the difference between the OT and NT - good observation. I was going to mention that in the OP, but it was late and I was sleepy. I gave some thought to whether beauty was mentioned in the NT, and couldn't think of any examples. I'd like to explore that point some more.

• MissMyHarley
    MissMyHarley

I think village girl is a little pissy. Get over yourself wow.

• Magnum
    Magnum

blondie - interesting observation about the lack of a definite standard of beauty. Is the one determined by a group of nomadic Hebrews supposed to be the accepted one?

snare&racket - yeah, that's what my thinking is now. Just want to know if somebody can give me reason to change that thinking.

• DJS
    DJS

What is considered beautiful varies, but there are certain traits which have been identified as beautiful by nearly all humans. It has to do with facial symmetry and measurements along the face. It's math, essentially (wouldn't you know the damn engineers would develop a formula for beauty!!!). Google it. Having said that, what cultures view as beautiful for traits which occur below the face (or in the ears, etc.): now that's a different matter.

It would have been far more odd if no references to physical beauty were found in the bible. As much as we may want it to have been god's word, it isn't and never has been. It's one people's spin; that's all. IMHO, the sooner everyone can accept this the better they will be emotionally, psychologically, socially and evolutionarily.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit