Bible's mention of physical beauty- why?

by Magnum 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Magnum
    Magnum

For years, as I've read through the Bible, I've wondered why Bible writers were concerned about physical beauty (see references below)? I realize it's human nature to be interested in beauty, but why did they see fit to record in the so-called "Word of God" the fact that some of the people they wrote about were beautiful? Looks are not supposed to matter according to JW doctrine (and probably the doctrine of many Christian-professing sects). Were the examples shown below Freudian slips?

The Reasoning book says that every word in the Bible is there for a reason, so I ask "Why do I need to know that these people were beautiful? Why should it matter to me?"

To me, it's an indication that the Bible was simply written by men. If the writers had been inspired, would they have been concerned about the looks of those about whom they wrote?

If anyone can provide an answer defending the Bible, please do. I'm open to it. I realize that, for example, in the case of Sarai, there was a reason for mentioning her beauty. It was part of the story. Her being beautiful made her a target and it explained why Abraham did what he did. But in some of the cases, I just don't see why we would need to know the characters were good-looking.

Kind of makes me wonder if the God of the Hebrews only liked good-looking people.

Sarai – “… woman beautiful in appearance… she was very beautiful” -Ge 12:11-13

Rachel – “the eyes of Le′ah had no luster, whereas Rachel had become beautiful in form and beautiful of countenance” -Ge 29:17

Joseph – “Joseph grew to be beautiful in form and beautiful in appearance” -Ge 39:6

female captives– “In case you go out to the battle against your enemies and Jehovah your God has given them into your hand and you have carried them away captive; and you have seen among the captives a woman beautiful in form, and you have got attached to her and taken her for your wife, you must then bring her into the midst of your house” -De 21:10-12

baby Moses – “When she saw how good-looking he was, she kept him concealed for three lunar months” -Ex 2:2 [So if he hadn't been good-looking, what would she have done with him?]

David – “ruddy, a young man with beautiful eyes and handsome in appearance” -1Sa 16:12. “a boy and ruddy, of beautiful appearance” -1Sa 17:42

Abigail – “Ab′i·gail... was… beautiful in form” -1Sa 25:3

Tamar – “Ab′sa·lom the son of David had a beautiful sister whose name was Ta′mar”. -2Sa 13:1. “was Ta′mar. She proved to be a woman most beautiful in appearance” -2Sa 14:27

Absalom – “Now compared with Ab′sa·lom there proved to be no man so beautiful in all Israel as to be praised so much. From the sole of his foot to the crown of his head there proved to be no defect in him” -1Sa 14:25

Abishag - “they went looking for a beautiful girl throughout all the territory of Israel, and finally found Ab′i·shag the Shu′nam·mite and then brought her in to the king. 4 And the girl was beautiful in the extreme” -1Ki 1:3,4

Esther – “she was beautiful in appearance” -Es 1:11. “the young woman was pretty in form and beautiful in appearance” –Es 2:7

Shulamite maiden – “most beautiful one among women” –Ca 1:8 (also many other verses)

Rebekah – “the young woman was very attractive in appearance” –Ge 24:16. “she was attractive in appearance” –Ge 26:7

Saul – “Saul, young and handsome, and there was no man of the sons of Israel that was handsomer than he; from his shoulders upward he was taller than all the people” -1Sa 9:2 “taller than all the other people from his shoulders upward” -1Sa10:23

David’s “mighty men” - not necessarily beautiul, but definitely physically superlative –see book of 2Sa

I don't claim this list to be exhaustive. Please add to it if you are aware of any other examples.

• prologos
    prologos

Conspicuous by her absence on this beauty list:

Potiphars's wife:

she had to COMMAND the slave to serve her.

wt writers were wrong in claiming he resisted temptation: not.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes well said Magnum. The Bible, like Greek and Roman mythology is full of gods and spirits being jealous, angry and vengeful. Just like humans! The fact they say we are suffering now because of an argument between two spirits, God and Satan, is astonishingly like pagan mythology with humanity being used as pawns. There is nothing to show it was written by anything other that humans.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Except unlike Greek and Roman Mythology,

the Bible contains Law Codes

that are concerned with creating a just society

for both humans and animals.

The fundamental Laws in the Torah

are the basis for Western legal systems

including building codes, health and safety,

private property rights, civil contracts, animal rights,

family law, inheritance law, social responsibilty

to the poor, blind and disabled as

well as laws protecting widows and orphans.

So to brush the Bible aside as a bunch

of stories and myths about gods fighting with each other,

is short sighted and does not acknowledge

the complex nature of the moral and social questions

it addresses as well as questions of the

meaning of existance and our basic responsibilty

to each other in a civil society.

The Bible deals with degrees of guilt in the

commision of crime based on motive and intent.

No other book preceding it or written at the same

time periods addressed these issues in the same way

or at all. To compare it to Greek mythology is absurd.

Have you read Greek mythology ?

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

The Bible speaks of what motivates men.

Men like pretty women. Physical attraction is

hard to ignore. The Bible is a record of the sometimes

shocking and gruesome and sex motivated actions of people

because thats what free will is, acting out our own thoughts.

How are we doing ? When things get ugly, we can always blame God.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

The fundamental Laws in the Torah

are the basis for Western legal systems

including building codes, health and safety,

Yes women having periods are unclean and anything they sit on must be scrubbed and they must be kept away from society for, how many days was it, five, seven?

Yes I have read Greek mythology and I particularly enjoyed Homer's Odyssey. All those weird monsters, reminded me of talking snakes and donkeys.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Men were unclean every time they ejaculated.

They were required to wash, change their clothes and

do a purification ritual. Women were allowed time off

from their duties while on their period and had a special

designated building or seperate place they went to

to hang out with other women each month at this time.

Today we are expected to pretend its not happening no

matter how ill it makes us or how painful it is.

So who are the barbarians ?

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

The Bible was the first building code book.

When you built a house with a flat roof that

people could go up and walk on or sleep on,

you were required to build a parapet, or low wall,

around the edge so as to prevent anyone from falling off.

And if you failed to do this, and an accident occured you

were held liable. Nothing like this in Greek mythology.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Xanthippe- Your smug contempt is creepy.

Why go to a religious based forum and spew vile

and hatred against God and the Bible? It continually

puzzles me, how you and your peculiar group are drawn here.

Whats the point, its the same thing over and over. Boring.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Women were allowed time off

from their duties while on their period and had a special

designated building or seperate place they went to

to hang out with other women each month at this time.

Is this in Leviticus or in your imagination?

What about the two turtledoves she had to offer as a sacrifice, one as a sin offering so that the priest could make an atonement for her before God because of her unclean period? I suppose in your mind that is eating chocolate and cuddling up with a hot water bottle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit