1914 vs 2014

by ILoveTTATT 23 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

It's amazing to examine the Watchtower of 1914 now in 2014... 100 years later.

Here are some of my comments on the Watchtower of 1914:

Second article in January 1st

Great Tribulation in 1915 – April 15, 1914, p. 118-119

Views from the Watchtower May 1914 very pointedly shows Armageddon expected in 1914... Great Tribulation...

June 15, 1914 questions are hilarious!! Should I wait until I die on October 1 st to pay a bill?

July 1 st Questions...

July 15 th ... Conventions... “over-stimulated” “too positive assurance”.... about 1914

August 15 th ... finally commented on the War. Armageddon AFTER the war ends.

August 15 th ... ARMAGEDDON 40 YEARS AFTER 1874. 1874 the Parousia and 1914 the Epiphania...

August 15 th ... Letter defending the chronology.

September 1 st ... Armageddon possibly starting in Spring 1915. Explaining that “Gentile Times” ending meant Armageddon, the end of their time to rule.

October 15 th ... Armageddon to follow the war... very explicitly said.

October 15 th volunteering... Previous volunteering gave “end of the world” tracts.

November 1 st ... already some explanations as to why things had not occurred. It’s an excellent article to read if you want to understand Russell’s Chronology. He gives excuses after excuses.

December 15 th ... mentioned some of the failed expectations.

THROUGHOUT THE YEAR, THE PHOTODRAMA WAS USED IN SMOKE AND MIRRORS! TO DISTRACT FROM THE FACT THAT THE EXPECTATIONS WERE NOT FULFILLED!!

You should read the actual Watchtower and look at how Russell handled this fiasco.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

The mystifying thing is, an active witness today will say "the light has become brighter....those are from so long ago.....where did you read that at again...etc. etc." They justify away. At least, this has been my experience with every active dub I have asked about these things.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Good! You noticed how they operated, good point on Photo drama.

Crazy how the Insight book states,"The stones would surely cry out if it were not for Russell" see Russell. Yet the JWs can not go read his writings because it is old light!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Where can you get these?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Marked

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Luke wrote his Gospel after the destruction of 70 A.D. However, the Second Coming did not happen immediately after that Tribulation, as written by Mark. So Luke erased "immediately after " or the greek " en ekeinas tais hemerais meta thn thlipsin", and inserted the phrase :

" they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led captive among all nations; and Jerusalem will be trodden down by the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled." (Luke 21:24)

So, by this way Luke got to separate the destruction of Jerusalem with the Second Coming to delay the unfulfilled expectation created by Mark. So, the Watchtower has been putting similar patches.

Of course, Luke did it before the end of that generation, this is why the Gospel of John had to omit that stuff.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Where can you get these?

https://ia600304.us.archive.org/27/items/WatchtowerLibrary/magazines/w/w1914_E.pdf

Good thread IloveTTATT - when you lay out all the highlights of the year like that, it's easier to see through the spin the WTS put on those understandings in subsequent decades. When all the WTs of 2014 have come out, even though they haven't flat out given a year for Armageddon this time, it'll be interesting to see any similarities with the hype and distractions.

• Raton
    Raton

I only started going through these recently but the section where he talks about if he should pay his bills or not made me laugh.

• designs
    designs

Just remember The Bible Students are a completely different religion than the JWs.

The lie, among many spread by the JW Wt., is the "Bible Students as JWs were formerly known" bullshit.

Rutherford and Franz started an entirely new religion. Dispensationalist (the Bible Students) vs Limited New Covenant (the JWs)

• blondie
    blondie

1879 to 1916 WTs

www.ctrussell.us

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit