G.B. TALK URGING CHILD BAPTISM!

by The Searcher 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

If you don't think dressing a 5-year old in a suit and punshing him if he doesn't sit still for 2 hours is cruel, then we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I didn't say anything about punishing them. I said its not cruel for kids to be made to be quiet and respectful for 2 hours. I disagree with punishment for something like that.

Cofty - yes I was born in. And no, I didn't like sitting at meetings. But I didn't like sitting in school from 9am to 3:45pm everyday from age 5 to 18 either but I did that too. was that cruel? And please don't make a strawman by comparing the usefulness or benefit of each, that's not the issue.

I understand we all have our issues with the Org. but seriously, not all churches have sunday school for kids, lots of kids sit quietly in church, lots of kids sit quitly in school, and lots of adults work in a respectful work environment. Why are some so quick to point a finger solely at the WTS without considering all the others they are implicating with their accusal?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Apognophos - "So we should not be surprised by an increasing focus on holding onto the kids in the org."

Well, so far, the Adventures of Caleb and Sparlock are (arguably) the best they've come up with...

...I'm not too worried about the WTS suddenly and dramatically turning that 67% 33% retention rate around any time soon.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

You mean 33% retention rate

But I've heard that Caleb is quite popular with the kids, which is worrying.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Apognophos - "You mean 33% retention rate "

Fixed, thanks.

Apognophos - "But I've heard that Caleb is quite popular with the kids, which is worrying."

Oh, for the love of... seriously???

Oh, wait...

...wouldn't it be ironic if these kids' parents were the JW loyalists who cried "fake!" and "apostate propaganda!" after Sparlock was leaked onto Youtube a month prior to it's "official" release?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Hmm, I wasn't around here during the Sparlock debut. But maybe some other active JWs can chime in here about the level of popularity of Caleb and this Sophia I've started hearing about.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I was baptised at 17 after having been raised in. I realize now that was way too young (besides the fact that I was lied to by the Society's propagandisized publications).

JW kids know what bad things will happen to them if they question Mom & Dad's beliefs, they are stuck!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Quendi,

Thanks for answering my question. In addition to those thoughts are of course the idea that Jesus baptism didn't take place until he was 30. Of course I am sure the common retort would be "well thats different because his purpose here...."

I guess I am looking for any indication of a child going through something in dedication that is that young in scripture. You can take pride in not baptizing infants, but if you allow a 10 year old to make that kind of "decision" when they cannot possibly know the outcome of their decision nor weather it will reflect there non-adolescent self......is it really any different?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I'm sure an accurate picture of the JW's faces while veiwing is hard to atain, many repeated the corporation matra I'm sure and many have never been interested in a kiddies video put out by the WT/Faithful Slave Corporation so never seen it except maybe on You Tube.

And so let give a big hand of apluase to all that posted it their with their commentary on the psychological implications of such a video on young peoples minds and how it warps them toward Corporation Loyalty.

• steve2
    steve2

The compelling question is this:

Does age at baptism have any impact whatsoever on the extent to which the candidate remains in the organization?

Only a well-designed research study would provide promising answers; the best we can do on this forum is develop and express our own individual hunches based on our respective experiences and observations in the organization.

One hypothesis is that, the younger the age at baptism, the more likely the candidate will remain active in the organization. The null hypothesis is that age at baptism is not correlated with longevity of affiliation.

Of course, from a policy perspective, baptized candidates now "qualify" for being disfellowshipped if they break the rules. But, I guess it really doesn't matter because even unbaptized Witnesses can still be marked and treated as being dissociated should they break the rules. It's the same result: Being shunned - but calling it something else, depending on baptized status.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

But, I guess it really doesn't matter because even unbaptized Witnesses can still be marked

Yes, but for a JW youth who still is something of a believer, being baptized means that "You made a promise to Jehovah". So there's a feeling of obligation, and guilt, and added fear, because it's even worse if you are leaving and breaking a promise to God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit