Loyalty to Org Over Everything Else Part 2

by startingover13 24 Replies latest social physical

• startingover13
    startingover13

A few months ago I posted about the dilemna I was facing with my girlfriend and getting reinstated. A little under a year ago, both of us were disfellowshipped for sexual immorality. While it was difficult, we promised to stick together through it, work our way toward marraige, and eventually return. As time went on, however, I was able to see life outside of the organization for the first time in my life. While I do believe in a God, I took time to examine some of the teachings that I was raised to believe. I also was able to start to see people for what they are. Muslim, Baptist, Catholic, Jew, Hindu, it doesn't matter. We all mostly want the same things. I was also hired to work in a public service job, and really got to make a difference in my local community, as well as earn the trust and friendship of my brother firefighters.

While we've both been out, we've battled with this whole loyaly concept. The idea that if someone is disfellowshipped, they are no longer worthy of your association. What's more, if you pass them on the street or incidentally see them, to shun them completely. While I was growing up, that never sat well with me. But the thing that changed my way of seeing things was the way my father and select few friends treated me after my disfellowshipping. Instead of coldly turning their backs on me, they continued to have upbuilding and encouraging association with me. Things with my girlfriend went well until she decided to turn in her letter of reinstatement. That's when things changed.

After every meeting, like clockwork, I would be bombarded with feelings of guilt and "could have", "should have", "would haves". It was then that she began to tell me what her elders were counseling her to do. They beat around the bush for about a month and a half until finally, last night, she was given an ultimatum; break all contact with me and be reinstated, or continue in a disfellowshipped state. The only woman that I've loved decided to break off the relationship. What's more, she regurgitated the counsel she received saying that she loves me, but loves Jehovah, her God, more. She even went as far as to say that the ball is in my court, and that' she'll wait for me "in the organization." Now, I'm as patient as the next guy, but doesn't it seem convenient that while she had absolutely no one to talk to, she was gung ho about staying together and that she'd never leave my side? How about the fact that just Friday night she was talking about how I was the one that stood by her side through it all. One comforting point, though. She said that she still loves me, and will be wait for me.

This cold, calculating treatment is exactly what I feared. The organization, not Jehovah takes precedent every time. A set of rules, regulations, and proceedings supersede common sense at times. My local elders have been loving, understanding, and have encouraged me to do the right thing and get married. Not extreme views, no battering, just sound advise. At this point, I plan on moving forward. I almost feel betrayed. At the same time, though, I'm happy for her in her course. Part of loving someone is wanting to see them happy. I just wish it wasn't such a complete and total mindf*ck.

• cofty
    cofty

I'm sorry to hear about her decision, that must be tough to cope with.

If she is determined to go back you will always be second place to her religion. Maybe it's better to know that now.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I hate to say this, but you're better off. I could never be married to a JW.

• GoUnion
    GoUnion

i think you have dodged a bullet. better to get things out in the open before you are tied down together. being an outcast in the eyes of JWs while married to an active JW is a challenging situation.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's difficult to beat the loyalty that the corporation instills. One part fear of dying, one part believing that you're actually Doing The Right Thing™ by being a JW and that doing anything else would make you a bad person. The one-two combo punch hits both the id and the super-ego and is very effective in enslaving people. While there are no certainties in life, if you get married to her, you will likely always be in second place to a puppet god operated by a publishing corporation.

• startingover13
    startingover13

I'm starting to realize that I come second. It hurts.

• dby
    dby

mo startingover.....you take of you first, the rest really does follow.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If you're that close to being reinstated too, I'd cease association with her (as they demand), hang around just long enough to get reinstated yourself, dump the bitch (if you can get past the emotional attachment, because it isn't going to be a good marriage with her putting the Org in 1st place), and do a quick fade (so you can smile, wave, and talk to them).

Then she and others might wonder how you managed to fool the Elders despite the Holy Spirit directing their decision.

Doc

• BU2B
    BU2B

RUN AWAY! It may sound harsh, and I know how it feels to feel you NEED someone and cannot go on without them but I would give up alot to be in your position. Instead, I am married to a JW with 2 kids, one of which was concieved after I learned TTATT! Please do not make the same mistakes I did and throw your happiness and more importantly, YOUR FREEDOM away.

Everyday, I feel like a hostage, a prisoner, and like I am a parolee and my wife is the parole officer. I go along to get along because it is easier than making a firm stand, although making a firm stand would be easier in the long run. I am not well off, and I worry about what would happen if I was to say that I dot want to go to the KH anymore.. I am already emotionally touch and go and moody, and suffer from physical symptoms of anxiety, so I dont know what would happen If I took a stand. Nothing good I assure you. Instead I choose the alternative of living a life I have no desire to live. I am an actor upon a stage, not myself. It is overwhelming to live and not be able to express your true feelings to those who should be closest to you. I am rotting away emotionally and mentally. I self medicate with alcohol when things get too overwhelming. I have to stand by and watch my kids get indoctrinated. The alternative (which I may soon take) is to stand for what I truly believe and turn my family life into a hellhole, I wont live with someone who treats me like crap, I WILL LEAVE, and thats the end of it. I am oly 26 and feel my life is over.

Dont do what I did. The difference is, If you marry her, knowing TTATT it is worse than me because when I got married I was still a zombie. Read SD-7 old posts about his life.. Dont repeat his mistakes. As hard as it may be, you are much better off cutting ties with her, living life in a way that you are true to yourself, and finding someone who Isnt tied into a mind controlling cult. I would love to trade places with you believe me! Dont comlicate your life and add long term stress. Run away and move forward.

• clarity
    clarity

BU2B .....words to the wise!

Takes gut to say the truth... my suggestion, get

yourself in the best physical health possible. Work

out at the gym & maybe start running.

Your mind, will follow your physical well being.

Wish all the best to you young man.

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit