What is the JW Mindset?

by losingit 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I really don't think that there is such a thing as the "JW mindset" unless we were talking about individual foibles like a lingering aversion to holidays or entering churches.

We could point to traits like "being cock-sure that one has the truth" or "judging others without compassion", but the fact is... almost everybody in the world does this. It's human nature. Ask the people around you who they voted for in the last election, then ask them why. Present them with facts that oppose their view and see how they react. Ask them why they picked their religion. Ask a non-religious person if he ever explored religions. It's also not hard to find racism lingering in the corners of people's minds.

Everybody tends to think they have the truth and everybody tends to not have compassion for foreign people (they might claim to, but what do their actions show?). Anyway, those are just a couple examples of how the traits we dislike about JWs are found in the general populace. Even if we picked "believe that a doomsday is impending", there are plenty of survivalists out there, and many everyday people who have a tendency to feel like the world is sliding towards oblivion.

Very few people besides those of us who have been fleeced and had to re-educate ourselves from scratch even have a chance of escaping that satisfied mentality and realizing that skepticism is needed in all areas of life.

• losingit
    losingit

Oubliette: Thanks for sharing what you needed to work on and why you still come onto this forum. I do agree that it does take a certain level of cockiness to believe that one possesses "THE TRUTH." To me, using the term, "THE TRUTH" from the JW perspective implies that only Jehovah God's perspective is the most important. I always thought that could not be the case. As a just and loving God (as JWs like to describe him as being), wouldn't Jehovah have to take into account everyone's position and viewpoint in order to truly read their heart condition? I didn't think things could ever be so cut and dry as some of the literature (perhaps most?) describes Him as being. I just could not wrap my brain around their depiction of God.

I have been around the company of JWs who were unbelievably cocky, and WOW I could not stand being around them, and I'm the type that cannot control my body language or facial expressions too much! What I felt and thought was apparent. Unfortunately, most of those that I met who were so were elders and MS's. I did not enjoy their good graces, nope, I didn't.

Apognophos: I lean more towards there being a JW mindset. There are certain qualities that the Society tries to cultivate in Witnesses, and they are not so much about the spiritual fruit as listed in Ephesians. Arrogance, fear, and what you said about holidays and churches. I guess lots of extremists possess these qualities, but I wouldn't say that it is human nature to believe that they alone possess "the truth" or that they are "judgmental without compassion." I tend to believe in the good in people, and I would hope that most people are open in their hearts once they learn about others. We all have the same basic needs. Not one group is above another. I can't say "everybody" as freely as you do. I do like that term you used, however... "Satisfied mentality"... and agree with your notion that skepticism "is needed in all areas of life."

Since I've been out, I've fully embraced almost ALL holidays. What fun! I used to celebrate before and I am happy to give that gift freely to my girls. No restraints. As for churches, I was raised Catholic, and I was generally spooked out by churches. I used to be curious about going to another denomination's services, but after JWdom, I just don't have the same interest as I used to. If I ever go back to ANY church, it might be the Catholic faith just out of tradition and my family's connections to it. Those are HUGE if's and might's, however.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What is the JW mindset?

I`m Right your Wrong..

That makes me Better than You..

Now Shut Up and Listen!

....................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

My God is alot better than YOUR God.

• losingit
    losingit

Outlaw and Skeeter1..... So true! LOL It takes gullibility and arrogance. What an odd combination!

So what makes an ex-jw become an ex-jw?

It's gotta be the humble notion that we are not right, we are not better than anyone, and we listen to others before speaking! Perhaps that's why some ex-jws become agnostic or atheist since Jehovah is not the end-all be-all.

But what happens when ex-jws still act as if their position is the only valid and correct one, that they're better, and refuse to listen?

JW Mindset at work?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

But what happens when ex-jws still act as if their position is the only valid and correct one, that they're better, and refuse to listen?

JW Mindset at work?.....Losingit

Yes absolutely..

We`ve seen it Right Here on the JWN Forum..LOL!!..

A Person has Left the WBT$ JW Cult but,the WBT$ JW Cult never Left Them..

They still Behave like JW`s..

................................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Outlaw: I`m Right your Wrong.. That makes me Better than You.. Now Shut Up and Listen!

While I would agree that many, maybe even most, JWs have this attitude, or mindset, none of these traits are exclusive to JWs in particular or even to fundamentalist believers in general from any religion.

In fact, a lot of people would say Richard Dawkins has that attitude. Actually, your comment fits a lot of people from a wide variety of backgrounds, cultures, races and beliefs; all of them with nothing more in common than the fact that they are homo sapiens.

So we can't really say that it describes a "JW mindset" because it does not identify anything particularly unique to JWs.

For the term "JW mindset" to have any real meaning it would have to define that which is uniquely JW-esque.

- -

• losingit
    losingit

So Oubliette... even if it is not particularly unique to JWs, do JWs as a group possess the mindset that Outlaw succintly described?

Is it just an extremist attitude? An intolerant attitude? Why do people possess these types of attitudes?

My own thought is that it doesn't have to be particularly unique to JWs to classify those characteristics/behaviors as "JW Mindset" for the purpose of this forum and even when talking to others who are ex-jws or are familiar with the JW lifestyle. It is a convenient way to bundle together traits to move forward in a conversation. An identifying hallmark, as such.

I mean, c'mon... haven't you ever had an inkling that a stranger you met was a JW? How do you know (excluding the non-celebration of holidays and birthdays?) What gave you that inkling?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Simple .....

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Losingit: Is it just an extremist attitude? An intolerant attitude? Why do people possess these types of attitudes?

All good questions. I'm not sure I can answer them, but they are good questions.

Allow me to ponder them for a bit ...

It is a convenient way to bundle together traits to move forward in a conversation.

It may be "convenient," but it's not accurate. Also, it has the likely potential to irritate and annoy someone that has left the religion, likely at great personal and emotional cost. I know that I would be extremely angry at you if you said it to me. I hate this fucking religion because it's destroyed my family because of it's lies, deception and manipulative policies and practices.

Why not simply say to someone, "Look dude, you're being kind of a prick. Why don't you dial it back a notch?" Or, "Why do you have to be such an asshole?"

See how nicely those address the behaviors that you don't like with out taking a lazy, cheapshot at someone that probably would rather have dental surgery than be compared to the people that represent everything he hates?

I don't really understand why so many people here are finding this a difficult concept to get their minds around. We were abused by this religion and many of the people in it. Who wants to be compared to that. Maybe we have some of those latent traits still lingering in our persona, but frankly there are kinder and nicer ways to point it out. I could just as easily respond to someone's, "You're acting like a JW!" with a, "I know I am, but so are you!"

It descends into juvenile schoolyard behavior just that quick.

losingit: I mean, c'mon... haven't you ever had an inkling that a stranger you met was a JW? How do you know (excluding the non-celebration of holidays and birthdays?) What gave you that inkling?

Another good question. I have had that experience also. I'd like to ponder that a bit too. But my initial reaction is that another JW is noted more by what they DO NOT do and what they DO NOT talk about than by anything particularly superior about them. JWs do NOT talk about holidays, personal accomplishments, or any variety of other interesting activities because they don't do any of those things (at least not if they're obedient little dubbies). They are usually very square and overly buttoned up. There is generally nothing particularly unique about them. There is a certain blandness which is common to Jehovah's Witnesses everywhere, a lack of anything truly exceptional.

That being said, I've been fooled more than a few times when I met someone that seemed particularly "good" (whatever the hell that means) only to find out they're Catholic or Jewish or an atheist for God's sake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit