Conventions

by free2beme 14 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

As the conventions are in full swing, and my relatives who are still in make a point to tell me what their vacation will include. I am reminded of a couple of things about conventions I do not normally think about.

One, the people who would protest the conventions. Some with bags on their head, others just holding signs. Might be some people out there who still do that. To the past people, and the present, I say the same thing. You look like idiots! Go home.

Two, remember how you always set there and wondered what the new publication would be and what new light would come out? Was it just me or did it basically come down to this. When will you tell us the time of the end? How much longer? And what Bible Codes did you unlock to show these facts? I was always disappointed when the new light would be things like, "People who die will never be able to marry again or be back in a marriage with their husband or wife" or something like "1914 is no longer the date we said, thought or any other backpeddling that date needs."

But more then anything I would like to be a fly on the wall to see how they are explaining 2014 and this being 100 years since 1914. I know my relatives are having a hard time swallowing that pill and wanting answers and burned out. I also know they will be willing to accept any answer that is given.

Anyway, glad my summer does not involve crowded conventions, bad hotel rooms and terrible cheap food. But for some it is, and again the protesters are idioits.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Re: the Kingdom centennial, you're not missing a lot. They're just basically saying, "Isn't it wonderful that Christ's Kingdom has been ruling in heaven for 100 years? This is a landmark year!" They also released the God's Kingdom Rules! book, which is like a Proclaimers book lite, to talk about everything that the Society has done since Russell's time. The idea is that if anyone asks, "Why has the system been going on so long? Why is it 100 years now since 1914?", the answer is, "Look at all the preaching and construction work that the Society has accomplished with God's blessing!"

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"Isn't it wonderful that Christ's Kingdom has been ruling in heaven for 100 years?"

Actually, since the world population in 1914 was 1.8 Billion and today it is over 7 billion, it means that by delaying Armageddon for 100 years, God will have to destroy an additional 5 Billion people from the Earth.

Doc

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I haven't seen protesters since I was a teenager, which is two decades ago. Of course I haven't been to a DC at all in five years.

There was a thread recently with some Pastor in Arizona doing the protesting thing, he pretty much looked like a fool.

But more then anything I would like to be a fly on the wall to see how they are explaining 2014 and this being 100 years since 1914. I know my relatives are having a hard time swallowing that pill and wanting answers and burned out. I also know they will be willing to accept any answer that is given.

As far as this goes, they are simply following the Nazi playbook and owning the lie in a bigtime way. I thought they would be silent about 1914 but they are playing it up like its some big accomplishment, reminding the troops that its been 100 years of Kingdom rule.

When you have captive sheep who can't think outside of their little box, you can pretty much say anything and it will be accepted without question. Hopefully a few are waking up to the bullshit as we speak, and will find their way out in the next year or two.

• losingit
    losingit

Idk if the protesters look like fools-- i was always curious about their position, why they felt the need to protest. For the last three or four conventions i saw them. It made a subtle but memorable impact on me.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I remember sometimes seeing protesters outside the gates at Vet Stadium in Philly. I had no inclination to listen to them at all. They would put flyers on the cars windsheilds in the parking lot. I remember one time going around, removing them and tearing them up, throwing them out.

I think the protesters made a bad impression which caused witnesses NOT to listen to them.

Apognophos- I'm interested in seeing that new book.

I wonder if my jw brother and sister in law are bothered in anyway that armageddon still has not come and the "short while" has been 100 years now. Of course, if they had doubts they would never tell me.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I think the book may not be available for a few months on jw.org, probably after the RC season has finished to avoid "spoilers". But at that point there will be a PDF available, I imagine.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

When they talk about all the preaching work they have accomplished in the last hundred years I always want to ask why does god keep letting another generation be born that needs to be preached to? If he'd brought the big A a hundred years ago none of this building and preaching work would have been necessary!

• TheListener
    TheListener

I remember seeing protesters. I always thought they were mean, angry and hatefilled people with no respect for God.

I was a total jackass! If I had been an actual christian perhaps I would have given them and their information more respect and saved myself years of heartache.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w10 9/15 p. 10 par. 12 Earnestly Seek Jehovah’s Blessing ***

We recognize that the end could come at any time; Jehovah’s timing is not contingent on our giving a personal witness to every individual on the planet. (Matt. 10:23)

*** w00 1/15 p. 13 par. 17 “Keep on the Watch” ***

Fifth, we see a global preaching work being accomplished, which Jesus said would take place just before the end of this system. Jesus stated: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14) Today, that prophecy is in the course of fulfillment on an unprecedented scale. True, untouched territories still exist, and it may be that in Jehovah’s due time, a large door leading to greater activity will open. (1 Corinthians 16:9) Nevertheless, the Bible does not state that Jehovah will wait until every individual on earth has received a personal witness. Rather, the good news must be preached to Jehovah’s satisfaction. Then the end will come.—Compare Matthew 10:23.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit