Quotes in the Creation book... My article so far...

by ILoveTTATT 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Here's the rest of the paragraph I quoted above:

Often [propagandists] real motives are not apparent. They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target.

It's pretty creepy, isn't it? In that paragraph the WT writers clearly describe exactly what they do!

The article offers these five suggestions to avoid becoming a "Victim of Propaganda":

• Be selective
    • Use discernment
    • Put information to the test
    • Ask questions
    • Do not just follow the crowd

(Each bullet point has a paragraph or two explaining in detail how to apply these suggestions).

Imagine what would happen if everyone applied these principles while reading the Watchtower and Awake!

- -

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Here's a riddle: why would propagandists inform their victims about propaganda?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Apognophos: Here's a riddle: why would propagandists inform their victims about propaganda?

Good question, and one I can't answer. But clearly they have!

Do you have any ideas?

I could hazard a guess that it might fall under the "hiding in plain sight" psychology.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I tend towards the school of thought that says that the writers are true believers. In that case the answer would be that they were writing a general interest article like the ones about "Can you trust the news media?", "Can you believe in any religion?", etc., and they simply don't think that the article applies to them. A massive case of the pot calling the kettle black, or we could even go back to Jesus' analogy of the man with the rafter in his eye. This is a known part of human nature.

But a couple of other possibilities:

- Reverse psychology. Similar to when the Society discusses other religions (which they never do fairly or particularly accurately) in order to say, "Well, now we've considered those, right friends? And we can see that these definitely aren't the truth." Writing an issue about propaganda allows a Witness to say, "Oh, the Society doesn't put out propaganda! Why, they warned us about propaganda just recently!"

- Public image. This is the "public's" magazine (this was before the Public/Study versions of the Watchtower). Writing about propaganda could allay suspicions about an alleged cult. It could even have been mandated by the government or required of UN NGOs to publish information on the subject.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Funny how the debate of "true believer vs. they know what they are doing" is so similar to the "nature vs nurture" debate... maybe there's a little of both...

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Apognophos - Here's a riddle: why would propagandists inform their victims about propaganda?

Is it to frame the answer in such a way as to create plausible cognitive dissonnance (The Art of Lying to Yourself ) in the mind of a reader (i.e., JW) and to minimize the possibility that the reader will do their own independent research and critically think for themselves?

The WTBTS use the same principles to refute that they are a cult like, "Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a Cult? Compare two common perceptions regarding cults with the facts about Jehovah’s Witnesses.":

• Some think of a cult as being a new or unorthodox religion.Jehovah’s Witnesses have not invented a new religion. On the contrary, we pattern our worship after that of the first-century Christians, whose example and teachings were recorded in the Bible. (2 Timothy 3:16, 17) We believe that the Holy Scriptures should be the authority on what is orthodox in matters of worship.
    • Some think of a cult as being a dangerous religious sect with a human leader. Jehovah’s Witnesses do not look to any human as their leader. Rather, we adhere to the standard that Jesus set for his followers when he stated: “Your Leader is one, the Christ.”—⁠Matthew 23:10.

Did you notice that the WTBTS writers wrote that "Some think of" instead of citing any specific reference or widely recognized and reputable authority? Most JWs and recruits would probably be satisfied by those answers. When did the WTBTS become experts at helping people leave dangerous cults?

Why didn't the WTBTS just cite information by cult-exit therapists like Steve Hassan? Answer: The WTBTS is a dangerous cult that uses BITE control very well.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Apognophos: I tend towards the school of thought that says that the writers are true believers.

Understood, but that does not exclude the possibility that they know what they are doing. That just means they self-rationalize and justify their deceptions and lies.

To suggest otherwise would mean that they are just naturally savant experts at all techniques of manipulation and control through the very subtle use of loaded language and proganda; they lie and distort their own history; and then--to top it all off--they write very intelligent, clear articulate articles describing how those techniques of propaganda and manipulation are used; and finally sit back and say to themselves: "See, we don't do any of those things!" when in fact they do all of those things.

For them to not be conscious of what they are doing is simply impossible for me to believe. It would require a stunning lack of self-awareness on one hand, while on the other simultaneously displaying a virtuouso level of skill at doing the very thing they deny they are doing.

George Orwell described in Nineteen Eighty-Four this kind of alleged mental self-deception as doublethink, we have keep in mind that what he was describing was fiction. Indeed, his main character, Winston Smith, opined endlessly about the fact that he knew that the party line was propaganda and mental manipulation; he (mistakenly) believed at first that he was the only one that knew.

It's just too doubleplusungood for me to believe the WT writers can be masters of manipulation and propaganda and do it all unconciously. ... Unless of course, ... no-it couldnt be, could it? Maybe they are demon possessed.

J. F. Rutherford famously said, "Religion is a snare and a racket!" Jehovah's Witnesses is a religion. JFR pulled one of the oldest cons in the world when took over from old Chuck Russell and perverted the IBSA to his own selfish aims.

Millions living, both then and now, have been scammed ever since.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Hi everyone,

I have progressed a lot in the gathering of the quotes.

The following sources are main sources for the book:

Cosmos

The Origin of Species (various versions and editions)

Discover

The Neck of The Giraffe

Science

Natural History

New Scientist

The Enchanted Loom

Field Museum of Natural History Bulletin

The New Evolutionary Timetable

Science Digest

The New York Times

The Guardian

Aid to Bible Understanding

The Selfish Gene

Evolution from Space

Scientific American

Red Giants and White Dwarfs

Etc etc... many books and magazines.

I have been gathering a lot of them... even the hard-to-find ones like the Origin of the Species, Introduction by W.R. Thompson.

I think that I will keep on placing the quotes, one by one, for analysis.

I am shocked that they would put such an against-evolution foreword in The Origin of the Species.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit