What prophecys made you belive the Bible?

by venting 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Viviane
    Viviane

There is not one specific prohecy that has come true. So that's one good reason.

• sir82
    sir82

You mean, back when I was an all-in believer, what prophecies struck me?

I always thought the stuff in Daniel was cool....before I realized it was written in the 2nd century BC, not the 6th.

I also really bought into the whole "Cyrus the Great named 200 years in advance" from Isaiah....before I learned about deutero-Isaiah.

To a lesser extent, I thought it was pretty cool that the talk identifying the "beast that was, but is not, but will be again" as the UN, delivered in the early 40's, was pretty impressive....until I learned that newspapers were full of accounts of a proposed UN prior to that talk being given.

One by one, all the "great" prophecies making up JW lore were revealed to be shams.

• Morgana
    Morgana

Even though I agree that the bible is largely a book of history and myths, living in Israel, it was the experience of the fulfillment of prophecies regarding Jews and their country that really impressed me.

After all and contrary to JWs, Jews can point out quite a lot of biblical prophecies that have been fulfilled clearly and visibly in ours days, and this fulfillment has become living reality in a modern, very vital country; just to mention a few that come into my mind:

— (history since 70) Scattering and pursuit of the people of Israel over the whole earth. Deut 28:64-66

— Retaining the unity of Israel even in the Diaspora and through all tribulation; ‘tradition’. Isa 49:14ff; Jer 31:35ff

— Regathering of the people back into their country which will assume the name ‘Israel’ (e.g. Theodor Herzl 1860-1904; Zionist movement). Ezek 37:11-14

— Revival and renewal of the language that had been a ‘dead’ language only used in the Synagogue at least since the days of the Persians and that is now a living language in daily life as well as economy, science and all other fields of a modern society (revived by Eliezer Ben Yehuda 1858-1922). Jer 31:23; Zeph 3:9

— Repossession and cultivation of the completely devastated country (e.g. Kibbutz movement since 1909). Deut 29:23ff => Ezek 36:33-36; Jes 35:6; Ezek 28:25,26; Amos 9:13-15

— ‘Root of Jesse’ as banner of the people of Israel (‘Magen David’ as flag of Israel). Jes 11:10-12

— Reestablishment of the political state (May 14, 1948: David Ben Gurion). Jer 16:14,15

— Resurgence of Israeli military (4th most powerful conv. and nuclear armed force of the world!). 2Sam 7:9-11; Zech 12:5-9; cf. Ps 110:2,3

— Focusing of the political interest of the world on Israel and Jerusalem; concentration of conflicts in this region (see daily news). Zech 12:2,3; Ezek 5:5

— Reoccupation of Jerusalem by the Jewish people, Jerusalem is capital of Israel — End of the ‘times of the Gentiles’ (formally announced by the Chief Rabbi on June 7, 1967 during the conquest of the Western Wall). Zech 12:6; Luk 21:24

Understandably, these things are usually not mentioned by JWs or in their literature.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Thanks for posting all of that Morgana. I agree and that's what I was talking about.

Russell taught some of those things then Rutherford with all of his failed prophecies decided to drop the Israel being regathered as a nation prophecy about 3 to 5 years before it actually happened. I wonder what JW's then thought when the 'new light' said it was all just symbolic, etc, then a few laters it actually happened. I wonder what the doctrine today would be had Rutherford not dropped it.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Of course, those fulfillments about the revival of Israel were performed intentionally by people who wanted to see those prophecies fulfilled -- both Jews and Christians, working together. It's quite funny that Rutherford screwed up a near-hit by Russell. Though I suppose JFR didn't live long enough to find out his screw-up.

• prologos
    prologos

I believed the destruction of the Earth's destroyers, not because it was or even MIGHT be fulfilled, but

because I liked to believe it.

• objectivetruth
  • Viviane
    Viviane

— (history since 70) Scattering and pursuit of the people of Israel over the whole earth. Deut 28:64-66

That prophecy never came true, though.

— Regathering of the people back into their country which will assume the name ‘Israel’ (e.g. Theodor Herzl 1860-1904; Zionist movement). Ezek 37:11-14

Nor this one.

— Reestablishment of the political state (May 14, 1948: David Ben Gurion). Jer 16:14,15

That's not what that scripture says.

Seriously, I am trying to think of one specific prophecy that came true and I can't think of one

• James Brown
    James Brown

That prophecy never came true, though.

Viviane

This is from Glencoe world history published by MCgraw Hill by Jackson J. Speilvogel.

Copyright 2005.

This is a high school history book.

On page 308 pp6.

Regarding the crusades

"The Crusades had some unfortunate side effects on European society.

The First widespread attacks on the Jews began in the context of the Crusades.

Some Chrisitans aruged that to fight the Muslims while the "murders of Christ"

as they called the Jews, ran free at home was unthinkable. The massacre of Jews became a feature of medieval

European life."

• Viviane
    Viviane

So, James? That's still not what the prophecy claimed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit