Books that changed your life-

by new hope and happiness 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I think what had the most effect on me was not any one book, but the hours and hours I spent at the public library as a kid. Librarians took a friendly interest in me and recommended books for me to read. My mother the JW had no idea of what I was reading as a kid and teenager. It all sank in and eventually surfaced again when I left the wtbts. My recommendation is to read a lot, especially history, science, biographies, literature. What I am now comes more from the books I read than the effect of the wtbts.

If you know any kids you want to help, take them to the library every week and let them choose any books and as many books as they want to read.

• flipper
    flipper

I haven't read any books that have " changed my entire world view " - although I've read a lot of books that have helped my world view to be more encompassing and well informed with a broader outlook. Some of those I would rank high are :

1. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Dee Brown

2. When the Great Spirit Died - William B. Secrest

3. Combatting Cult Mind Control- Steve Hassan

4. Releasing the Bonds- Empowering People to Think for Themselves- Steve Hassan

5. Freedom of Mind - Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs - Steve Hassan

6. Gestalt Therapy Verbatim- Frederick Perls

7. Roots- Alex Haley

8. 1984- George Orwell

9. Crisis of Conscience- Raymond Franz

10. Tecumseh- A Life - John Sugden

These are some of the really great books I've read that have assisted my life views. I highly recommend these books for anybody

• Mum
    Mum

Your Erroneous Zones by Dr. Wayne Dyer helped me to muster the courage to start life over and remove myself from a toxic cult and a toxic marriage.

A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is about a Russian gulag prisoner who realizes he is living a lie.

Vanity Fair is a classic about a governess who schemes her way into money and adventure. It's also hilarious in its observations on the human condition and the way operators operate!

There are many more, but these are a good start.

• talesin
    talesin

The Women's Room, by Marilyn French

Also, A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

t

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

On Death and Dying by Elizabeth Kubler Ross

I had never before thought about the idea of a good death vs. a bad death.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

New York, Fountianhead is what my son read to get him through the day of his cancelled wedding. My father before he died in 2013 gave my son his own copy of it ans made him promise to read it. He did that yesterday and said the same things about it as you did. That book impressed my father as well, though I know he didn't agree with ayn about some things.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Nonjwspouse, the tea party has given Ayn Rand a bad name. There are good people who appreciate here writing. It really did make a difference in my life.

• talesin
    talesin

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Good story, monstrous philosophy ............. rabid capitalism .... but the movie was pretty good ....John Galt was played by, I think, John Garfield, who was highly underrated as an actor.

As for Ayn Rand, well ... as noted before, she was big on capitalism, but didn't mind living off the public purse. No surprise there, hypocracy is an huge part of capitalism.

xx

tal

• Stumbeline
    Stumbeline

1Q84- Haruki Murakami. It planted the seed of my questioning JW practices. And I just love the author.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

The "Pay Attention" book, it opened my eyes to the double standards in the Organization.

zed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit