by new hope and happiness 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Oh, I almost forgot:

The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius

COP

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Oubliette, Thank you for your " consolation of philosophy" suggestion as its a book i own but have never read. I think i might make a start on that tonight.

What about humourose suggestions. I would love to read:-

Stephen Hawkings Doesnt Exist.

Author: God

• flowerfreaks2
    flowerfreaks2

I love to read and have tons of new books to check out at library or Amazon. Thanks. I have CoC presently and really awesone stuff.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i think the only publications that changed my life were the Look! I Am Making All Things New booklet. That i was the publication my parents accepted that brought us into the organization.

and the Watchtower that made me leave nearly 40 years later.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Green Eggs and Ham - Dr. Seuss

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

new hope and happiness, You will not be disappointed. Keep in mind that The Consolation of Philosophy is most definitely NOT light reading.

It is without question one of the most profound reads I've ever engaged, and I've read hundreds of books.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

While I don't consider myself an Ayn Rand convert reading her books were so shockingly different from watchtower reading that it got me to thinking critically. I landed somewhere in the middle, but it was important to me to be exposed to something on the extreme side.

I have read The Fountainhead at least five times each time I read it I was at a different place in my life and got something completely different out of it. I have the book on my Kindle and am contemplating reading it again.

Beside Atlas Shrugged, I also really appreciated her book, We the Living. The description of the totalitarian life in Soviet Russia was very reminiscent of the totalitarian institution of the Watchtower. The similarities were striking

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I cant even remember the name of the book. My grandmother read endlessly, everything. If she found it at a rummage sale, she bought it and read it. I was prowling through her books and found a college history of the U. S. I remember it was from 1925. That book taught me how to think while I read and how to comprehend what i read. I owe the author, who ever he was, an entire career.

Addison, Steele, Dickens, Terry Pratchett, and a huge long list of SF and Fantasy writers are my turn to people for mental relief.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

A much more accessible, and certainly much shorter, work by Ayn Rand is Anthem. It is a dystopian novel similar to Nineteen Eighty-Four and Farenheit 451.

I suspect Lois Lowry was very influenced by it when she wrote The Giver.

• Mephis
    Mephis

Terry Pratchett's Small Gods quietly ticked away. Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed made an impression as did Atwood's work. Iain Banks' books played a large role in keeping me at least relatively sane in public. But in terms of literature, the biggest impact was Larkin's poem This Be The Verse. The teacher who gave it me knew full well what meaning I'd take from it and I took the advice, well the last line not so much. So glad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit