I Need Help Getting My Head Straight.......

by TTATTelder 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes indeed 'billy'!

How "nice" can a bunch of people be who are so eager to see mass genocide, just so that they can selfishly "live forever in paradise on earth'?!

How "nice" is an organization that seems to be such lovers of peace, yet the central core of their belief is that a higher power will kill everyone else...who doesnt appear to be the same as them....?

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

The Witnesses see things exclusively as black and white. They view people as either good or bad. The truth is the world is a whole lot of gray. The more you are around other people of different religions and backgrounds, the more you see how good that people really are.

I have a group of really good friends that I hang out with. Every year we vacation together, too. 2 of us are democrats. 2 of us are republicans. All of us are different religions .. methodist, lutheran, baptist, and well ... me! And one of them has tattoos! (oh my!)

Just remember ... gray is good.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

How "nice" can a bunch of people be who are so eager to see mass genocide, just so that they can selfishly "live forever in paradise on earth'?! by stuckinarut

LOL That sums it up nicely stucknrt and it so absurd when

you think about the absolute disgregard and contempt

they capable of. There need to be "right" and to

win the argument, bleeds over into this forum.

Jesus said anybody who believed would be saved, and those

who didn't know him called righteous by their deeds.

The rules of the law, and rules of an oganization are like

the Pharisees putting burdens on your back.

They behave like the religious people in the parable

walking by wounded stranger, who is then helped, by the Samaritan.

These worldly people you see, do all the charitable works of feeding

and clothing the poor, taking care of widows and orphans

and all the things the WT says are "symbolic" of your "service"

to the "Governing Body" I hope there are more like you who

are sincere believers who are waking up and see through this anti-Christ WT

There is spiritual life beyond the WT my friend, and joy and hope and love.

There are solid families, devoted to their children, involved in their communities.

People working for social justice. As an elder I am sure you are aware of the

cover up and protection of pedophiles by WT written policy ? How moral is that ?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Jesus if you believe said do not judge and do not exalt. Paul wrote I corinthians that there would be sects out of these the righteous ones would come. Not one righteous sect but righteous ones he also talked of not being hung up on your leaders because who reAlly mattered was Christ. Does this sound like what you heard from those nicely dressed and groomed men?

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

They are like whitewashed graves...on the inside they are full of dead men's bones.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

What you have to remember is that this conformity comes at great cost, you lose freedom of thought, freedom of expression, and the ability to live your life as your own conscience demands. Obviously you can still look and dress however you want, I personally don't look that much different than I did as a JW, I even put in a dress once in a while, and most people I know dress nicely also. You take those JWs at the convention and look at them when they get home and change and I doubt they look that much different than the average non JW.

I think part of it is also that this is what you are used to. Every change requires an adjustment, so I think you will look back on this and wonder what you were worried about. I look at the convention pictures now and it kind of turns my stomach, I look at those people and know what has been done to them to achieve that uniformity. I am so happy that I don't have to be part of that anymore.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Its funny....I have had these exact same thoughts. In my case, my friends know I no longer attend, and they remain my friends. The real ones anyways. Hows that for shocking.

The problem is the things you do not see. Yes there are many fantastic people, and the relationship congregations and people have with their own worldwide I believe it pretty unique. I have traveled quite abit and showed up at random KH's and been treated very well with people even offering to have you stay with them etc... It is very nice.

But if you do not play the part, it all goes south. Not only does it all go south, but you stand to lose everything.

What I think was confusing (and maybe what you may be confusing), is real friendship with the ready made community that you get by being a JW. You immediately get a community of mostly decent people, a strange culture, and all the arms length relationships you can stomach. Being part of a community, or even several communities is IMPORTANT to happiness. The JW one is just one of many.

Its when you consider, that your friendships, community, and life, can be held hostage by a rouge elder, a change in "understanding", or even a change in your own conscious.....that you realize it isn't real. Everything runs through the "organization".

Many people we thought were our friends, have simply stopped speaking with us since my wife and I stopped attending.....and she doesn't even know what she wants to do yet! Because we aren't going to meetings, people that normally would have come by, or popped in, basically have forgotten about us. We don't fault them.....its just the way it is. They were never really our friends, just part of a cimmunity we no longer are around.

• DJS
    DJS

TTATT-E

I thought similarly when I exited the Borg, but I discovered quite soon that there are a lot of great people in the world - unlike what we were led to believe by the Dark Lords in the Tower. And their friendship isn't conditional. I have friends who are: Jewish, Black, Gay, Bi, Hindu, Muslim, Atheist, Christian (very), ex-Dubs. I love them all and I think the feelilngs are returned. The one thing they all have in common: they are all excellent, ethical people. I don't think about labels. I don't think any of them smoke, use drugs or cause any other harm. You will find out when you complete your exit. You are too close right now to clearly see it. Don't worry.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Highly organised and decent people...... name me one religion that isn't! I seriously reccomend you go meet some muslims in a mosque, I guarantee you won't leave without offers of dinner or a cup of tea somewhere. Evangelicals are lovely people, my pal is doing charity work most nights somewhere in the city. A religion without these charachteristics is not going to survive...

As for high moral standards, you are basing that on leaving an assembly and seeing people in jeans with stubble and willing to say the F-word, that has nothing to do with morals. It is about being real and grown up.

The Watchtower are stuck in a bizzare 1950's utopian mindset. No swearing and skirts below the knee! Clean shaven and suits have nothing to do with morals or standards, it is more corporate than anything!! Again, a 50's mindset, hence the sexism so prevelant in the JW's.

The funny thing is, when you leave long enough and see pictures of myriads of JW's in cheap suits (we are all poor) walking outside an arena, they just look bizzare, crazy even and very, very cultish. I don't look at those pictures with fondness now, they look very strange, especially seeing kids in suits and dresses.

It is poignant for you to think of how the WT has you equating morals with shaving, swearing and wearing a suit. Politicians, bankers, business men and (american) religious leaders fit your appearance bill....but we all know it is nothing more than a thin venere.

Also, be honest with yourself, how moral really are the JW's? How many don't swear playing football? How many JW youth get smashed drunk in a club and have oral sex on the weekends, dressed like anyone else out that night? If you think 'none' you are far from reality! How many defend slavery and genocide in the bible? How many would let their children die without blood? How many agree that child rape/abuse is not an essential crime to report to the police unless leagally obliged? How many stand by the two witness rule? How many would shun their own children if the child decides they just don't believe it anymore? How many marriages hide violence, alcohol addiction and emotional abuse? How many JW's go door to door with a message that everyone elses religion is false, yet won't examine critisism of WT activity? How many JW's defend a faith that was fined 30 million dollars for allowing continued child abuse of a young girl? How many JW's pray for the destruction of most of humanity in order that they can take the dead persons land, build a cabin and stroke a lion........

Morals is not about suits and ties and saying 'sugar' instead of 'shit'.

• talesin
    talesin

The thought/feeling that JWS have 'higher standards' is an illusion. The Emperor has no clothes.

Don't judge a book by its cover .....

Some of the people i know in my city:

That 6 ft+ young guy walking down the street with the foot-long mohawk and wearing a dog collar? He volunteers at the Church up the street, serving up Sunday suppers to the homeless/poor.

The woman panhandlng in front of the coffee shop - no make-up, kinda scruffy looking - she has an MI, and her husband sends her out to pan every day - beats her if she doesn't. She has a smile that lights up the whole downtown when I give her a hug.

There's a 30-something man on the street corner, playing his guitar (awesomely) and belting out Bob Dylan tunes. He's wearing a 50s style cap, second hand clothes - he's a bit grimy and tired looking, but man can he play guitar! He works as a dishwasher to support himself, and plays on the street corner because it's just so hard to find a gig and as an artist, he needs to share his music.

Appearances are just that. I know, the JWS are very "shiny" - always fashionable, dressed nice, no cussing (in public) - but where is the reality? The pain and the glory, of a life that is LIVED.

It may be a bit scary to look 'out' from inside the b'Org, but trust me, the mosaic of folks you will meet in real life is far more interesting, and filled with amazing people, each with her/his own story.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit