WT Says O.K. To Visit With Disfellowshipped Family Members...Discreetly!

by JW GoneBad 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I know of a family of eight that was raised in Da Troof and of course all the kids didn't go along with it. When one of the girls was DFd and still living at home one of the elders told her mother that although they were not to conversate with her she could sit down to the family meal with the others, like he had a direct line to Jehoober that the elders didn't have

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

That's right Shirley. If the DF person lives at home, the family can sit down and have a meal, socialize, though not spiritually, have family worship. But, if the DF lives out of the home, they don't contact them unless it is family business.

• steve2
    steve2

Under the sugar-coated lining lies a bitter pill. Easing up? No way.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Steve2: ‘If you have to seize upon one word - "discreetly" - and excitably read a lot into it, you're that starving bird grabbing an old crumb off the cold, hard ground.’

Sometimes that’s all it takes…one word, maybe two or maybe even three words!

In case you haven’t heard there’s an organization that has a way of seizing upon just one word and what do you know... that organization has some 8 million+ followers…hook, line and sinker!

Just what are some of those words? Well you know steve2. You have to admit that you too were duped at one time or another by some of these words. Just to name a few:

1. Jehovah

2. 1914 (nineteen-fourteen)

3. Blood Transfusions

4. Disfellowshipping

In fact I remember another 3 word expression that was mentioned in the course of a talk at a DC dealing with disfellowshipped family members a few years back. Maybe you remember it…..’necessary family business’. You may have, like so many others seized upon that expression and excitably read a lot into it (pardon my mocking you).

When WT determined that too many had read too much into that expression (necessary family business); perhaps thinking they were given a green light to associate with df’d family members, the GB quickly put out a Watchtower study article putting a red light or end to it (7/15/11 W pg 31).

Truthfully, I didn’t read too much into that word…’discreetly’. I’m just having fun with it!

But I will say that ‘discreetly’ is another word I will add to my arsenal along with ‘necessary family business’ whenever an elder or some nosy JW needs to know why I have contact with a relative or family member who is df’d.

Example: ‘Jwgonebad, you have been seen talking to df’d John Doe.’

My reply: ‘Mind your own damn business. I’m having necessary family business with John Doe and trying to do it as discreetly as possible.’

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Let's review: It's a cult!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Ya' know what, I've had enough of this friggin' cult. It's time for us to indiscreetly tell them all to fuck off and mind their own business!

• Mephis
    Mephis

If they feel that it's working in pulling people back or keeping people in, they'll keep up with harsh stuff. If they figure that it's a net loss, it'll be rolled back as they change the lightbulb again they shed new light on things and everyone'll be meant to forget about all the pain caused by the last decision.

Someone'll sneeze on the GB and put their hand up by accident and it'll get changed eventually. They'll figure out they screwed up translating a Greek word for greeting or something to excuse it, or realise eg young single mums aren't the anti-christ. That they are having to hammer this one every few months is indicative of how unpopular and uneasy those affected still inside are about it all. And even if they do keep up with this current interpretation because this is the only way they can keep so many trapped inside, then my door's always going to be open to any family member or friend who wants to get out.

• nugget
    nugget

The watchtower would probably say that JWs must show discretion when visiting Df'd relatives which has a different meaning.

Discretion means that the strict rules still operate and that only if it was necessary family business would it be reasonable to associate with a DF'd person. Discretion would determine what fell correctly into this category.

What does appear to be different is the idea of visiting Df'd people rather than allowing them to visit the JWs.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I just attended Friday at Columbia SC and I was listening closely to the talk that the OP mentioned regarding DFed ones and the word "discreetly."

It was on the afternoon symposium about 'Keeping the Kingdom First & things to put in second place.' (I didn't have a program so I don't have the exact name of the part.

The speaker definitely said "we don't associate with DFed relatives." He said it in a context of how some relatives might be disturbed by the fact that 'we don't associate with relatives who are DFed.'

A sentence or two later he mentioned that we should treat our non-witness relatives 'discreetly and with respect.'

So he used the word "discreetly," but not with regard to DFed relatives. It was in connection with "non-witness" relatives.

• Soledad
    Soledad

How many times are these idiots going to change their minds about this?

I guess that's why my mom now eats meals with me again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit