Return to the Kingdom Hall!

by One Last Kiss 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• One Last Kiss
    One Last Kiss

I recently did just that and had an unexpectedly uplifting experience. No, really!

Whilst on vacay I was informed by my JW friend (only dimly aware of my faded status) that we’d be visiting the local KH I reacted by going to my room and having a silent tantrum, resolving to tell her that um, no, we most certainly were not. But it later turned out she was rather desperate to find a single brother, so I did the non-JW thing and put her happiness above my own

So there I was, far from home, not been to a KH in over a year and heading to the Sunday meeting. Everyone was very pleasant and commented how spiritual we were by attending (me, a closet ‘apostate’, my friend only there to scope out the talent!)

I can’t stress enough how surreal yet reaffirming it was to be there, far from the JW community I was used to, seeing everything with new eyes . First thing I noted was the self-importance the elders exuded. Second were the damned ipads. Around two years ago I was strictly forbidden to read the WT in pdf format at the hall, but now that such things have had the GB kiss of approval, it’s all the rage. No more paragraph highlighting one-upmanship!

The talk was yawn inducing and full of idiotic analogies, nuff said. As for the WT article – I was convinced it was the simplified version! Don’t recall a single thing about the content, try as I might to remember, all that comes to mind is my annoyance at the atrocious ad hoc bible quotes and parroted answers. It wasn’t a spiritual discussion in any meaningful sense; it would appear every soul capable of rational thought has left the writing department.

And then it was over.

Boy, how inconsequential all these increasingly vapid meetings are. It used to be that we were at least comforted/up built by the content, but no more. To have had such a break from attending and be able to observe in a faraway congregation helps draw a line under it all and get some perspective, I thoroughly recommend it!

One Last Kiss x

• Mum
    Mum

Being away for a while and going back certainly gives some perspective! I can't recall the last time I was at a KH. I do remember seeing a JW woman abusing her child for being childish. And I recall a speaker on the platform criticizing the appearance of an inactive "brother" he had run into. The negativity is soul-numbing.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'm dreading the fact that I'll have to sit through some of the Dist Conv parts to save face with family.

Doc

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Interesting about the IPads. One of the last CO talks when I was still in, was a half hour listening to why we were not supposed to have printouts of scriptures at the meetings - though writing them in the WT was okay. We were supposed to use the NWT (now no longer valid if it is not silver) at all times. What a BS...Must have been a surreal experience.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It used to be that we were at least comforted/up built by the content, but no more.

it could not be put better OLK.....Is it not ironic that they call themselves sheep? After all, sheep are

a) fed on the same old food every day but always want it the same

b) regularly fleeced

c) end up being exploited for profit and sold for slaughter

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I guess I will never enter a K.H again, I certainly cannot think of one thing that would induce me, well perhaps the payment in advance of Two Million Dollars, that might just persuade me !

We used to have a brave Poster on here, my favourite Jewish person, Moshe, he was XJW as well as Jewish, he not only used to visit the K.H when he was in a different town on business, he would go out on F.S with the poor saps and wreak all kinds of havoc by playing with their minds !

What a guy !

• cantleave
    cantleave

Whatever happened to Moshe?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope Moshe is doing great and has simply tired of this place. I hope that too for all the great posters of the past, some we know have passed on, some will drop back in one day, whatever, we owe them a huge debt for the work they put in on here.

Even Cantleave may be rememberd forever for ................. well something.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I can’t stress enough how surreal yet reaffirming it was to be there, far from the JW community I was used to, seeing everything with new eyes . First thing I noted was the self-importance the elders exuded

Attending a meeting or assembly where you don't know anyone is much like dining at a restaraunt alone or going to a movie all by yourself. Some people have never eaten alone or gone to a movie alone because the thought of it makes them extremely uncomfortable.

Going to an assembly in a strange City where you know no one, can be an eye opening experience, even for a long time JW. It's only then that you have the opportunity to see things as they really are and are able to focus on your own personal experience rather than being caught up in the spirit of the occasion, not because you are learning wonderful life giving truths, but becasue you are enjoying being with old friends and are in your comfort zone.

This is why movie and restaurant critics work alone. For anyone who is sitting on the fence in terms of continuing with being a JW, I highly recommend they try this.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

great post, onelastkiss!

i often sit even at our own hall, and observe everything and listen to everything as if i was a first time visitor...and yes, its an eyeopening experience!

the 'whack-job' nature of witnesses is just so apparant once our eyes have been opened!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit