Today is Father's Day in the US

by leaving_quietly 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It is one of those holidays JWs do NOT celebrate. There is no reason for it. It is not a religious holiday. It is not a political holiday. In fact, there is absolutely nothing in the WT Library that says JWs can't celebrate it, at least not in the last 50 years. Yes, in 1956, there was one single article dealing with this, and it's full of nonsense. Basically, WT says it's creature worship.

For the full 1956 Awake! bound volume:

http://ia600304.us.archive.org/27/items/WatchtowerLibrary/magazines/g/g1956_E.pdf

Or, the applicable pages:

g5/8 p. 25

g5/8 p. 26

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Mother and Father's Days -BAD! They detract from GB worship. Also if you buy a card, that's money that could have gone to WT.

Marina

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's fathers day in the UK too. I haven't been out the BOrg long enough yet to get the hang of all the gift giving on specific days. I am gutted I forgot to give my dad a card. I spoke to him twice today about this and that and apologised. I am more bothered than him.

I love my dad loads, I couldn't have got through all my trails with out his support and phonecalls. He loves giving advice too, it makes him feel needed.

I am going to give him a nice thank you card and a little gift the next time I see him. I hate this stupid cult for making me forget the important things, he told me it was a cult before I joined.

Kate xx

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I'm just completely baffled after reading that article. Since when is giving a gift and a card and saying "I love you, Dad!" tantamount to creature worship?!?!?!?!?

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, 'creature worship' is their reason for not celebrating these holidays.

If you think about it, though, it is another clever manipulative tool. It is a very subtle reminder that we are only to love Jehovah the WTBTS, and NO OTHER. Then, when shunning comes around, the JWS are not overly disturbed by the family ties that are emphasized on holidays such as Fathers' Day.

Diabolical! grrrrr

tal

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

This is where the religion shows that it really just doesn't want people to participate in anything that the world is doing. It's not about pagan origins of holidays, it's about alienating your members from their family and society at large.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Shhhh! Don't tell the Witnesses that Father's Day has Methodist origins! Nor that it was also about remembering orphans who lost their fathers in a mine diasaster:

In December 1907, a terrible mine explosion in nearby Monongah claimed the lives of more than 360 men. Most of them had families, and the tragedy left 1,000 children fatherless.

Clayton was distraught by the thought of all those children growing up without a father's guidance, and wanted to do something to honor the importance of fatherhood. She asked her pastor to set aside a special day to commemorate fathers. She chose the Sunday closest to the birthday of her late father, also a Methodist preacher.

Christendom! Creature worship! Christian charity! Flee, brothers and sisters, flee to the spirit-directed organization!

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

I just bought my husband his first fathers day card from me. We will be married 48 years next month. I was thinking this morning how I never gave my father a card. It hurts now to think of my father a non JW never being acknowleged. Dad I lost you 31 Years ago but I love you

• flipper
    flipper

Happy Father's day to all you Fathers out there ! Me included . My son and his girlfriend came over last night and we BBQed King Salmon heads of all things, 7 of em. Yeah you heard right- huge Salmon heads. It's incredible how much good meat is in the head ! So it was a nice time BBQing and my son gave me a gift as well. It's nice to enjoy these family times without the damned WT Society telling us what we can or cannot do. They have no control on me anymore

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads!

Flipper, you've made my imagination run wild with visions of crown-wearing King Salmon fish heads eyeing you at the BBQ. I heard those are the wisest of fish, lol!

Phae

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit