Religion vs the gospel

by Fernando 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

Our family's journey out of the Watchtower has led us to see the gospel as the antithesis or exact opposite of religion.

For us religion is men telling us what to believe and do (to control us).

For us the gospel is God telling us what he has done (to liberate us from such men).

How have you come to see the relationship between religion and the gospel?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Reading In Search of Christian Freedomwas a good first step in this. It was mindblowing.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, what Jesus taught while he was alive- what actually attracted people to him- has nothing to do with the religion that was created after his death. Obviously, Jesus didn't say 'follow me because after I'm dead it will all make sense', but he had his own teaching- which has been obscured by the writers of the Gospels after Jesus died. So you can't follow Jesus- you're 2,000 years too late.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'For us the gospel is God telling us what he has done (to liberate us from such men).'

' So you can't follow Jesus- you're 2,000 years too late. '

Yabutt, this is GOD telling fernando stuff god's done. Wonder how god 'tells' him. Could it be the bible?

S

• Perry
    Perry

That's right Satan. There are many, many compelling reasons why Jehovah's Witnesses should consider becoming Christian..... as directed FROM THEIR OWN BIBLE.

(All verses are quoted directly from New World Translation.)

God’s Glory

(Verses regarding God the Father)

Isaiah 42:8 “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images.”

Isaiah 48:11 “…And to no one else shall I give my own glory.”

(Verses regarding Jesus)

1 Cor. 2: 8 " ...for if they had known it, they would not have executed the glorious Lord.

John 8:54 “…It is my Father that glorifies me, he who you say is YOUR God”

John 16:14 “That one will glorify me…”

John 17:1 “…Father, the hour has come; glorify your son…”

John 17:5 “So now you, Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.”

Philippians 2:10 “so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground”

Hebrews 5:5 “So too the Christ did not glorify himself by becoming a high priest, but [was glorified by him] who spoke with reference to him; ‘You are my son; I, today, I have become your father.”

The Savior

(About the Father)

Isaiah 43:3 “For I am Jehovah your God, the Holy One of Israel your Savior.”

Isaiah 43:11 “I am Jehovah and besides me there is no savior.”

Isaiah 45:21 “Is it not I, Jehovah besides whom there is no other God; a righteous God and a Savior, there being none excepting me?”

(About Jesus)

Luke 2:11 “because there was born to you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord…”

Acts 13:23 “From the offspring of this [man] according to his promise God has brought to Israel a savior, Jesus.”

Titus 1:4 “…May there be underserved kindness and peace from God [the] Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.”

Whose name are we to have faith in?

(said about Jesus or by Jesus)

John 14:12 “Most truly I say to YOU, He that exercises faith in me, that one also will do the works that I do…”

Acts 4:12 “Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”

Acts 26:18 “…and inheritance among those sanctified by [their] faith in me.”

Revelation 2:13 “I know where you are dwelling, that is where the throne of Satan is, and yet you keep on holding fast my name, and you did not deny your faith in me…”

John 20:28 “In answer Thomas said to him: My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him: Because you have seen me have you believed?

John 20:31 “ But these have been written down that YOU may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God, and that, because of believing YOU may have life by means of his name.”

Acts 2:38 “Peter [said] to them: ‘Repent, and let each one of YOU be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ...”

1 John 3:23 “Indeed, this is his commandment, that we have faith in the name of his Son Jesus Christ…”

Created or Creator?

Jehovah’s Witnesses teach that Jehovah created Jesus as an angel, and that Jesus then created all other things. What do the scriptures say?

(About the Father)

Isaiah 66:2 “Now all these things my own hand has made, so that all these came to be.”

Isaiah 44:24 “…I, Jehovah, am doing everything, stretching out the heavens, by myself…”

(About Jesus)

John 1:3 “All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.” If all things came into existence through Jesus, He could not have been created because He is included in the “all things.”

Status, Names and Titles of Jesus and Jehovah

Isaiah 9:6 “For there has been a child born to us, there has been a son given to us, and the princely rule will come to be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.”

Revelation 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says Jehovah God, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.”

Revelation 1:17-18 “…I am the First and the Last, and the living one, and I became dead, but, look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys to death and of Hades.”

Revelation 2:8 “…These are the things that he says, ‘the First and the Last, who became dead, and came to life [again]”

Revelation 22:12-16 “Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end…I, Jesus, sent my angel to bear witness to you people of these things for the congregations. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star.”

Revelation 21:6-7 “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To anyone thirsting I will give from the fountain of the water of life free. Anyone conquering will inherit these things, and I shall be his God and he will be my son.” If Jehovah is the Alpha and Omega (the first and last Greek letters), then the “first and the last” must refer to Jehovah, so the Witnesses claim. But when did Jehovah become dead? The only “first and last” who died and lived again is Jesus.

Hebrews 1:13 “But with reference to which one of the angels has he ever said ‘Sit at my right hand, until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet”?

Answer: NONE

Read more

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

You are right. Messiah came to put an end to religious practices and followers can now wroship God within because the true church cannot be seen and not made with human hands

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

For us the gospel is God telling us what he has done (to liberate us from such men).

Huh? How has the gospel (whatever that is) liberated hundreds of millions of Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists, agnostics, atheists, who far outnumber Christians on this planet?

What does God have in store for them? (Eternal hellfire according to many Christians who believe the gospel)

• Fernando
    Fernando

Most Christians are unfamiliar with the unabridged gospel.

The same for most Jews who (should) know the gospel as "bissar".

The same for most Muslims who (should) know the gospel as "injil"/"injeel".

God has created the legal framework and precedents for our liberation.

These are communicated through the comprehensive, unabridged and common gospel/bissar/injil/injeel message, hidden in plain sight throughout the common Judeo-Christian-Muslim scriptures.

We are invited to accept on very generous terms, but religion, ignorance and busy-ness are powerful enemies.

• designs
    designs

Liberate from what.

• Fernando
    Fernando

From propaganda, manipulation, coercion, deception, control, and dysfunction.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit