Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

by KateWild 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Only assertions that can be proven scientifically, empirically or logically should be accepted as true.

Kate xx

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Mu. The question fails on grounds of non-specificity. What does it mean to accept something? How trivial or crucial to one's life is the state of acceptance and the possible effect of acceptance of a given statement? Just as one example, statements with profound implications may need empirical proof, but trivial ones may not.

• Ding
    Ding

"Only assertions that can be proven scientifically, empirically or logically should be accepted as true."

This assertion is self-defeating.

Since it cannot be proven scientifically, empirically or logically, by its own terms, it should not be accepted as true.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Apogs, you make some good points. Flexible thinking there. We all need to be flexible thinkers as we exit WT wouldn't you agree? So many JWs are rigid thinkers and we need to realise this when we exit.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Ding, so you disagree. Me too xx

• Comatose
    Comatose

Have a great weekend Sam! Wish I could be there to have drinks with you and my wife. See you around here. :)

• KateWild
    KateWild

You have a PM coma xx

• baltar447
    baltar447

If you want to believe something that makes you feel good and doesn't hurt anyone, then by all means knock yourself out. But don't try to enforce those fantstictical(often ridiculous) beliefs on others. If you want to follow a teaching that gives your life meaning, whatever.

We should be making important decisions in life and as a society only based on things we can prove to be true.

• KateWild
    KateWild

We should be making important decisions in life and as a society only based on things we can prove to be true.-Baltar447

So you agree with the statement. Thanks for your post

Kate xx

• Laika
    Laika

Disagree. The UN says that all people are 'equal in dignity and rights'. I don't know on what basis you could claim that empirically but I accept it anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit