Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

by KateWild 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Laika,

Yes I disagree too. I think though with the UN statement you could prove by history how it is barbaric to treat people as slaves. I would say that logical and emperical proof, but perhaps not. What do you think?

• flipper
    flipper

KATE- Yeah, I disagree with that statement too. There are TOO many things in this world of which we are unaware or know little or nothing about. Nothing is absolute except that nothing is absolute. Variables happen everywhere and the person who allows for variables to come up in life will be more grounded and accepting of eventualities and chance occurences. End of my Confucius philosophy. LOL ! Peace out. Mr. Flipper

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

An interesting question!

I would say science cannot answer logically why it itself exists and is thus limited in scope. To do so would need something more than logic! Logic is limited although very useful I admit but it can’t cope with certain questions such as infinity. Logic points to infinitely but cannot cope with what it is.

The empirical part is problematic because our own inner world is real but not empirical, as it is not physical in nature. Also empiricism is limited to logic and science which have their own issues as I said.

However on a general level I would say the exceptions prove the rule, that yes `assertions that can be proven scientifically, empirically or logically should be accepted as true.`

Another point, I would venture to say is that even truth itself is limited, as least as far as science and logic are concerned. Science only ever deals in `theories` as one level better than` hypothesis` but it never gets to the proof level which is reserved for known mathematics. The problem with known mathematics is that its only truth value, outside of itself that is, lies in its relationship with the physical world. However the physical world is only understood as theory, not truth. Mathematics is not the physical world; hence it is a guide only as far as truth is concerned.

Known and proven mathematics then is true but only so in the subjective human mind and not in the empirical world. I hope this didn’t sound too convoluted.

• baltar447
    baltar447

*facepalm* don't put words in my mouth this sounds like a verbal circle jerk which I don't have any desire to be part of.

• Listener
    Listener

It's a funny question, an assertion often has no proof to substantiate it as true, therefore it is possible that there would be no assertion if it could be proven.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Disagree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit