just wrote my talk

by collegegirl 21 Replies latest jw friends

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Here's one of the last talks I gave in the TMS. Notice the subtle (hah!) interweaving of Christian themes:

What to Do When Problems Arise

One time or another, didn't some brother or sister do something to you that just made you so
    angry...you remember, don't you? Why, you probably felt like doing something terrible to that person,
    just to get even with him or her, right? The important question, though, is: what did you do? You see,
    the feelings I've just described are completely natural for sinful humans such as we are. But God's Word
    shows a more excellent way of dealing with problems that arise between fellow Christians. Let's read
    Jehovah God's counsel at Colossians 3:13:

*** Rbi8 Colossians 3:13 ***
    13 Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely if anyone has a cause for
    complaint against another. Even as Jehovah freely forgave YOU, so do YOU also.

Notice, the scripture doesn't tell us to avoid making mountains out of molehills, or not to become excited
    over some imagined wrong, though we shouldn't do those things either. But this verse says to forgive
    freely even if you really have a cause for complaint against another. Because, you see, that big problem,
    that major offense that erects a gigantic wall between you and your brother is really very small compared
    to the debt that every one of us owes to Jehovah because of our sins.

The 18th chapter of Matthew records a parable of Jesus about a man who did not freely forgive his
    brother a paltry sum - one hundred denarii - after a king had forgiven the man a debt of sixty million
    denarii. That man's unforgiving and unloving attitude toward his brother indicated to the king that he
    lacked appreciation for the great amount of forgiveness he had received, and so the king exacted the full
    penalty for the debt. And here's the key to the matter for us: in verse 35, Jesus said:

35 In like manner my heavenly Father will also deal with YOU if YOU do not forgive each one his brother
    from YOUR hearts."

Do you appreciate the great amount of forgiveness you have received? Turn with me to Psalm 103:10-14:

*** Rbi8 Psalm 103:10-14 ***
    10 He has not done to us even according to our sins;
    Nor according to our errors has he brought upon us what we deserve.
    11 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    His loving-kindness is superior toward those fearing him.
    12 As far off as the sunrise is from the sunset,
    So far off from us he has put our transgressions.
    13 As a father shows mercy to his sons,
    Jehovah has shown mercy to those fearing him.
    14 For he himself well knows the formation of us,
    Remembering that we are dust.

How far away from you are your sins? "As far off as the sunrise is from the sunset". If God takes your
    sins from way over to the east, and puts them way over to the west - that far away from you - how can
    you possibly take some minor offense that a brother commits against you and harbor it and nurture it
    within your heart?

How can we resolve problems with our brothers? I can answer that in three words: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!
    And if you're not sure what love really is, the next time that you open one of the Society's publications
    and see a picture of Jesus Christ nailed to a stake, blood dripping from his hands and pain contorting his
    face, just say to yourself, "That should be me on that stake. That is what my sins caused me to deserve.
    But Jesus wanted to take that punishment and that humiliation on my behalf." And why? Because of his
    love for you and me. And after you've considered that for a few minutes, see if you still feel like taking
    vengeance on your brother who has offended you.

After the last paragraph, when I walked back up the aisle to my seat, I saw tears in the eyes of a few in the audience. It impressed me, because I realized that some of these people have spiritual needs that the Watchtower can't fulfill. The description of what Christ went through on our behalf, which is underplayed as a mere 'legal transaction' by the WT, was enough to touch their hearts. It's a commonplace enough topic in the Bible and among Christians, but to JW's, it was as if they'd never thought about it before.

Tom

"Gentlemen, he said, I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes, I've moved your mountains and marked your cards. But Eden is burning"
    --Bob Dylan
  • gypsyqueen
    gypsyqueen

Collegegirl- Since I've put the skids on attendance ( I let slip that I was so stressed out that I was going to commit suicide), I feel like a huge knot has untied in my belly. I feel so much better about myself. The constant threat of being 'disciplined' was ruining my sanity. I can breath now. I don't even need my therapist anymore! I feel like a whole, intelligent, desirable, good, human being for the first time since growing up. Be strong. Do trust your powers of reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit