just wrote my talk

by collegegirl 21 Replies latest jw friends

• collegegirl
    collegegirl

Hello Everyone. I have not been on the site for awhile. I have been really busy with school and work. But now things are calmed down a bit, and I am back... So hi again to everyone i missed, and also to anyone new.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I just finished writing a talk. I have it on Thursday night, and it is on Bad Associations! You would think they saved it for me or something! :-) Let's just say that the talk is boring, brainwashing, and so completely typical of all JW material that I am actaully ashamed I wrote it. Wouldn't it be great if i had the guts to get up on stage and give this lecture on how wonderful friends are who aren't in the "Truth" because they aren't always looking for a reason to turn you in? That would be such fun, but I am not that daring, so I have to be subdued...

Anyhow, for anyone else who has to sit through this crap on thursday night, i sympathize with you. Maybe some day I'll make a talk exciting...

• Mulan
    Mulan

About a year or so before we left, I gave a talk about how Jesus didn't discriminate when he healed people, and how nice it would be if we had that attitude in associating with our neighbors and 'worldly' relatives. It went right over their heads. The school instructor didn't even catch my apostacy. They are so lame.

BUT, my husband gave one (the last he gave) about Jesus and the rich young ruler. He said Jesus never gave him a long list of rules, or things to comply with, but only said he should give up his wealth and help the poor. No time card, no meetings, etc. That one started rumors all over the circuit, and they never assigned him another talk.

We both wished we had had the nerve to be more direct, but we didn't want to get df'd.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Maybe you could use the example of the Good Samaritan in your talk. Although he was worldly, he displayed attributes more Christ-like than the religious men who were accepted and yet ignored the poor man who was in agony.

When I gave those ministry school assignments, I always tried to put things like that in. It's a good way of reminding congregation members that just being one of the 'chosen' doesn't mean everything they do or say finds favor with Christ.

Just a thot. Good luck on your talk.
    Mimilly

• detective
    detective

I'm going to make a weird suggestion. Insert pauses or vocal syncopation around the phrases that are most unpalatable to you. If you avoid monotone delivery (even at the risk of not "scoring" well), you might be able to spark some thought without overtly drawing attention to yourself. If you speak in an uneven manner (intentionally, of course), people will not be able to tune you out as effectively as they would if your delivery was smooth. Just a thought.

• Flip
    Flip
    That would be such fun, but I am not that daring, so I have to be subdued...

Most likely the reason the WTBTS likes you as a Jehovah's Witness,in other words, reliable cash paying consumer of WTBTS Corporate publications and unpaid promoter of same.

Flip

• avengers
    avengers

Keep a low profile. Don't say too much. Listen to the elders, what the advice is they give you, analyze it and laugh your heart out.
    I don't know how long you can keep this up. You'll probably be discovered on this board and disfellowshipped. Until then you can be the secret agent who is infiltrating inside the Walls of the Watchtower. Ears up. Eyes open. Watch your back. Listen to the gossip when you pass.

What a trip. You all keep up the good work you hear.

• collegegirl
    collegegirl

detective - i am working on poise, so that's is a GREAT suggestion. maybe i can still have fun with this.

i absolutely refused to say have friends in the organization. i just said that your friends should respect god...

Flip - ok, so i brought that jab upon myself.... but really, i am not a "relaible cash paying consumer" because i never ever ever ever contribute...

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi college girl,

why don't you give a nice talk, because that's important information.....you should be careful who you associate with!

just outline the principals of finding good friends, never mentioning jws.........if it's clear, some of the young ones who aren't completely brainwashed will think about it, and possibly realize that most of their jw friends are bad association.........

• DCs Ghost
    DCs Ghost

welcome back cg

mimilly had a good point with her suggestion, a bad associate doesn't have to be necessarily have to be worldly, as a good associate doesn't necessarily have to be dub,
    with that in mind you could open some perceptual doors and at the same time turn it around and make it a guilt trip for all,

ie. point out some of the dishonest qualities of some of your congregation's sheeps, and incorporate how this dishonety could qualify someone as a bad associate, if you have the courage look for these in the elders and MS's, (without mentioning names of course)

I pulled that stunt in my last talk at the school, and needless to say i really believe that is the reason i was never assigned another,
    the subject was along the lines of honesty, and i managed to use an example of how using a radar detector to avoid a speeding ticket was a way of cheating the system, and how a truly honest person would obey the speed limit without the aid of such a device being that his conscience would be aligned with god's will and that alone would keep him from cheating the law in such a way, all the time focusing my gaze in the general direction of an elder that i knew was a speed demon and kept a radar in his car. . .

yeah i am an instigator

"we do not see the world as it is,
    we see the world as we are. . ." Anais Nin

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

this hollywood insider know that
    there are jars of clay in a house of precious vessels..when
    you use that scripture, you could tear up the cong

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit