Archbishop Didn't Know Sex With Children Was a Crime

by Stealth 15 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Stealth
    Stealth

WTF

The St. Louis archbishop embroiled in a sexual abuse scandal testified last month that he didn’t know in the 1980s whether it was illegal for priests to have sex with children, according to a court deposition released Monday.

Archbishop Robert Carlson, who was chancellor of the Archdiocese of Minneapolis and St. Paul at the time, was deposed as part of a lawsuit against the Twin Cities archdiocese and the Diocese of Winona, Minnesota.

In a video released by the St. Paul law firm Jeff Anderson & Associates, the Catholic archbishop is asked whether he had known it was a crime for an adult to engage in sex with a child.

“I’m not sure whether I knew it was a crime or not,” Carlson responded. “I understand today it’s a crime.”

When asked when he first realized it was a crime for an adult — including priests — to have sex with a child, Carlson, 69, shook his head.

“I don’t remember,” he testified.

Source: http://www.nbcnews.com/#/news/religion/st-louis-archbishop-didnt-know-sex-children-was-crime-n127291

• snowbird
    snowbird

BASTARD!

• fakefading
    fakefading

Wow, poor children.

• LostGeneration
  • LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

-----> ( Possible phone call from his Boss) Lie, deny, deflect, anything. Just don't come knockin ' on my door for any help, said The Pope, after slamming Vatican's jewel studded, golden telephone down.

-----> Don't forget psychopaths make the best liars.

LL

• Heaven
    Heaven

Don't these f'ers take a vow of celibacy?! WTF does he think that means?!!

• blondie
    blondie

I do believe that the first article in a WTS publication about sex with children was a June 22, 1982 Awake. My mother said she didn't know that child molesting was wrong because there was nothing in the bible about it and nothing in the publications in the 50's and 60's when my father was molesting me and my siblings. Yes, the bible and some publications mention incest but that was between adults.

So the WTS felt child sacrifice was wrong, felt that homosexuality was wrong, but not child sexual abuse?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

So I guess the notion that it was morally reprehensible was foreign to him as well.

• Fernando
    Fernando

What a lame cop out by your mother, to say the least, blondie.

I'm saddened by just how common sexual abuse seems to be in the Watchtower (then and now).

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Good point, Keyser.

At what point does a "man of god" decide what is the law and what is moral? Shouldn' the be even more equipped than the average man being "morally guided" by the bible? Shouldn't he have a stronger moral/ethical compass than most?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit