The March 1, 1952 Watchtower says, "Go back... and Die!"

by Londo111 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

I found the quote via googling. Next time, I need to verfiy the source a little closer.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked for excellent documentation

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I found the quote via googling. Next time, I need to verfiy the source a little closer.

LOL - I thought it wasn't from you. Which site was it from, as a matter of interest?

• Londo111
  • Terry
    Terry

There is a behind the scenes story leading up to the Topic's 1952 article, behind the scene conflicts had built up over the years since 1945.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/279557/1/What-role-witting-or-unwitting-did-HAYDEN-C-COVINGTON-play-in-the-Watchtower-DF-policy-flip-flop#.U5XuzPldVeA

Within the space of two years, Jehovah's Witnesses would cease teaching the worship of Christ and change their charter to reflect that change.

When you see big waves on the surface of a lake you have to know the magnitude of the turmoil underneath.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/230091/1/Do-Jehovahs-Witnesses-know-what-happened-to-them-in-1954#.U5XwC_ldVeA

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss
    AWAKE! JUNE 2013

APPEARED IN

HELP FOR THE FAMILY | MARRIAGE

How to End “the Silent Treatment”

00:00 05:28

THE CHALLENGE

How do two people who have vowed to love each other get to the point where they refuse to talk for hours—or even days? ‘At least we stopped fighting,’ they tell themselves. Still, the issue has not been resolved, and they both feel uncomfortable.

WHY IT HAPPENS

Retaliation. Some spouses use silence as a form of revenge. For example, suppose a husband makes weekend plans without consulting his wife. When she finds out, she is angry and calls him inconsiderate. He responds by calling her oversensitive. The wife storms off and stews in silence. In effect, she is saying, “You hurt me, so I am going to hurt you back.”

Manipulation. Some use the silent treatment as a means to get what they want. For example, imagine that a husband and wife plan a trip and the wife would like to take her parents along. The husband objects. “You’re married to me, not to your parents,” he says. He then gives his wife the silent treatment, shunning her in the hope that she will break down and concede to his wishes.

Of course, a temporary time-out can give a couple the opportunity to let emotions cool when an argument is getting out of hand. That type of silence can be beneficial. The Bible says that there is “a time to keep quiet.” (Ecclesiastes 3:7) But when it is used as a means to retaliate or manipulate, the silent treatment not only prolongs conflict but also erodes the respect the couple have for each other. How can you prevent that from happening to you?

WHAT YOU CAN DO

The first step to ending the silent treatment is to recognize it for what it is—a tactic that, at best, works only short-term. True, not talking may quench your thirst for retaliation or compel your spouse to give in to your wishes. But is that really how you want to treat someone whom you have vowed to love? There are better ways to resolve conflicts.

Be discerning. The Bible says that love “does not become provoked.” (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5) So don’t overreact to such emotionally charged statements as “You never listen” or “You are always late.” Instead, discern the intent behind the words. For instance, “You never listen” might really mean “I feel as if you don’t take my viewpoint seriously.”—Bible principle: Proverbs 14:29.

Think of your spouse as your teammate rather than an opponent

Lower your voice. Arguments tend to escalate as they continue. On the other hand, you can change the direction of a heated discussion. How? The book Fighting for Your Marriage says: “Softening your tone and acknowledging your partner’s point of view are potent tools you can employ to diffuse tension and end escalation. Often that’s all it takes.”—Bible principle: Proverbs 26:20.

Think of “we” instead of “me.” The Bible says: “Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person.” (1 Corinthians 10:24) If you think of your spouse as your teammate rather than your opponent, you will be less likely to take offense, argue, and then refuse to talk to your spouse.—Bible principle:Ecclesiastes 7:9.

The silent treatment runs counter to the Bible’s admonition: “Let each one of you individually so love his wife as he does himself; on the other hand, the wife should have deep respect for her husband.” (Ephesians 5:33) Why not make an agreement with your spouse that the silent treatment is unacceptable in your marriage?

KEY SCRIPTURES

• “He that is slow to anger is abundant in discernment.”—Proverbs 14:29.

• “Where there is no wood the fire goes out.”—Proverbs 26:20.

• “Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to become offended.”—Ecclesiastes 7:9.

THROW THE BALL GENTLY

The Bible states: “Let your utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.” (Colossians 4:6) This certainly applies in marriage! To illustrate: In a game of catch, you toss the ball so that it can be caught easily. You do not fling it with such force that you injure your partner. Apply the same principle when speaking with your spouse. Hurling bitter remarks will only cause harm. Instead, speak gently—with graciousness—so that your mate can catch your point.—From Awake! January 8, 2001.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The 1950s were the most cultish time for the literature. It's crazy what they got away with back then. Not sure how that came about or why they mellowed out later (comparatively speaking)

• Londo111
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Re Terry's link to the info about 1954 and the worship of Jesus, I found this scan on the net.

Watchtower Oct 15 1945 p313

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Thanks Atlantis!
    ((PM for you))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit