Detroit Style Ballroom Dancing

by KateWild 39 Replies latest social entertainment

• Magnum
    Magnum

exwhyzee: for anyone who grew up in the restricted and regulated JW lifestyle, it makes the loss of ones youth that much harder to take. To a small degree it would be like not going to College when you were young, then years later finding out the Society had begun setting up scholarships or grants for deserving JW kids who wanted to go on to higher education. It would make a joke of your sacrafice.

It does sort of make a joke of my sacrifice. I was kept on the edge of my seat for several decades thinking the sky was going to fall any minute. JWs at that time were instructed to live accordingly, and I did. I lived a very Spartan lifestyle. And now JWs are chilling out and lightening up - starting to try to be more mainstream and hip and cool. They are providing cartoons and entertainment for children, etc. I now resent the way I lived for 30 years and will continue to have to live because of them.

baldeagle:

SadElder: If that's true about Ted Jaracz, then it shows that JWs are just governed and guided by the whims and personal opinions of whoever is in charge at the time or whoever is alpha male. No guidance by a deity - just whatever the current top dogs think.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

There use to be outdoor congregation gatherings planned, square dancing & talent show pot luck dinners at community buildings, sports competitions against other congregations, softball & basketball games, large weddings, anniversary or going away parties.....then all of these things were stopped because of a fun killing directive that JW's should no longer have large gatherings. The religion started going down the toliet then.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

And now JWs are chilling out and lightening up - starting to try to be more mainstream and hip and cool.

I think the real point is being missed here...............

YES they are changing!

WHY?

Because they no longer really believe all this crap about Armageddon is "right around the corner".

They are no longer living the lie -- the WTS LIE, that is.

All but a few overly self-righteous, diehards are living normal lives.

Sure they attend three two meetings per week.

Sure they spend 10 fake hours in Field Service McDonalds and Starbucks each month.

Sure they are all making a career of Regular Pioneering at 100 hours per month doing token 30 hours (at Starbucks) a couple time per year and MANY young people here are going to college. Nursing. Teaching. Technology. Even Engineering.

FACT IS: NO BODY IS TRULY LIVING AS THOUGH THEY BELIEVE IT ANYMORE!

Doc

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

I love that song, but it was considered worldly! My Girl! That dance was frowned upon!

We were not allowed to dance like that in the 60s or 70s. Well we did worse dances but still it was not aloud.

It said convention 2014 but it looked like a Kingdom Hall.

Detroit is busting out of the norm! Way to go hidden apostate elder!

Exwhyze you said it!

Desireofchange, I bet they still believe Armageddon will happen but it seems they are living a more fullfilled life! Your right! :-)

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Alphaman What area are you from because the Northwest was nothing like that. I think that would make a difference.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I hate to disagree with Alphaman but....The religion has been in the crapper since it's beginning but took a dive to the sewer when Rutherford took over. If you read WT literature and listen to old timers whose parent's beliefs, attitudes and behavior were shaped by him you would think things actually IMPROVED as time went on. IMO it wasn't until Ray Franz was removed that things tightened up again around 1980. This was also about the time Jaracz came into full power and influence. But remember, HE was a student of Rutherford need I say more? By the end of the 80's large gatherings, entertainment, basically fun, was no longer allowed. Throught the 90's and the new century more and more rules and regulations were implimented, no doubt to try to prevent the flock from forgetting their main jobs as slaves of the Borg. Now, because this is a different GB.2 who have witnessed the vast # of youth leaving they are making a stab at rebranding the whole religion in hopes of stopping the tide. Only time will tell if this almost unrecognizable form of JWism will fly. BTW, as a teen in the 60's I danced my butt off to Motown music at Witness parties. I could really get down! LOL. Believe me, it didn't look a thing like this lame video. Lucky for me the heirachy at Brooklyn didn't forbid music and fun until after 1975. Guess that pesky debacle made the GB boys cranky.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hey, 3rdgen, I hear you! lol

I had a party at my house, over 100. It was a "Costume Party" (Not Bible characters) Lots of fun. We had a live JW band from Pomona that sang "Louie Louie" many times. Oh what fun we had!

Our dance floor was hopping! I was dancing. Yes! Even to the Temptations singing "My Girl". The neighbors told us later how much they enjoyed hearing our party.

The local Police showed up at their regularly scheduled time of midnight to tell us to crank the music down a bit. Some of the neighbors might want to sleep! lol

LoisLane singing "Louie Louie, away I go now..."

• steve2
    steve2

BTTT

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

sad SMDH

Now if they really wanted to do it detroit style THE EROL FLYNN

Link

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Lois, Louie Louie, really? Nas tay! We danced a lot to Fogarty of CCR and slow danced to some Neil Young and Beach Boys. Surfer Girl still gets me. Hey! THAT was the time of my life!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit