Troll Accusations

by Frazzled UBM 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I have noticed that some of us are a bit too eager to label new posters as trolls. While it is clear that there are some posters who just like to stir up trouble or are out and out apologists there are others who are Witnesses starting to have genuine doubts and so ask questions but then when they see the responses the cognitive dissonance kicks in and they push back and argue with what they are being told. This can lead to very negative reactions from JWN members and accusations that the person is a troll. jnjburkett was one example and FL_Panthers is another.

Well I had a beer with FL_Panthers last night and I can tell you he is far from being a troll. Unlike my experience talking to active Witnesses, he was very open, asked good questions, listened to what I had to tell him and tested it by reference to his Witness background as a way of deciding whether it made sense to him. I could see that he was having an internal battle between his rational side and his Witness side but that the rational side was in the ascendancy. Deep down he knew the problems but his upbringing (baggage such as a nagging concern that Armageddon might just happen) and concerns about family relationships were holding him back from embracing TTATT. But he has embarked on a course that will end up in him realizing TTATT. He knows that there are things he now understands that make it impossible for him to go back to being a fully fledged Witness.

So I know it is annoying when posters don't immediatley accept the validity of the wisdom and personal experiences offered to them on this board but remember the process you all went through (some faster than others) in learning TTATT and cut some of these newbies some slack and don't be too quick to condemn them as trolls.

Cheers Fraz

• galaxie
    galaxie

Shows the vital importance of face to face social interaction, it can mean the world of difference even to see some ones facial expression voice inflections etc.

Some forum interactions would probably come to a better and probably friendlier conclusion if conducted face to face.

Best wishes.

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

Very True. I had the same experience and met with FL_Panthers, Katewild and Laika. And they are all nice people to have around.

Text/posting does not do justice to anyone.

Frazzeled_UBM, maybe we should meet sometime, i am also near London.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Da.Furious - I would be happy to meet you, perhaps with Laika. Can you get into London on a weekday evening? Cheers Fraz

• bigmac
    bigmac

i was labelled a troll when i first started posting---partly my fault for asking the wrong type of questions---but i got a real punch-up going on--quite funny at the time.

luckily--i had already met Cantleave and Nuggett in real life--and they vouchsafed my bad character.

• Laika
    Laika

Oh yay, more meetups! :)

• Londo111
    Londo111

I agree with the OP.

I suppose many have been jaded over the years by actual trolls, mostly xJWs who are playing part of the JW apologist for gags.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

What is awesome about JW.net is that anyone can join in the conversation.

This isn't an exclusive "closed" group. I don't want to be part of a high control group anymore. So I say the more the merrier!

Sharing experiences and opinions is the most productive way to understand the exit process.

ginger

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Bumping for emphasis.

• cofty
    cofty

Very good OP.

It's easy to forget our own mixed emotions and conflicted opinions when we were waking up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit