oh cr@p!! its my turn for "an elder called and wants to arrange a shepherding call" thread. Moral support please.

by MissFit 51 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I think "moral support" is a cliche, so that is why it is acceptable. Written English grammar is hard to use correctly. I don't see the need to correct people's grammar in an informal writing environment. There are many people that English is their second or third language. I blame being a JW for my poor grammar, because I was taught we will all be speaking ancient Hebrew in the paradise. So why master English? :)

• MissFit
    MissFit

Thanks Jnat. I always used the term and I was feeling embarrassed that I might have been saying and writing it wrong all this time.

Thanks for boosting my morale.

Miss.Fit

• MissFit
    MissFit

Update:

I received another call from my elder. I didn't recognize the number so I let it go to voicemail.

He wants me to call him back. I am thinking about it to tell him it would not be a good time.

Miss.Fit of the too polite for her own good class.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Thank you everyone. The elder called again.

I took the call and followed your advice.

I told him I was not available. He asked if he could stop by my work. ( I work in a public place) I told him i would be too busy.

He told me he hoped to see me at meeting.

I told my husband if any one comes asking for me in suit and ties to say I am not available.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Wow some of these pesky elders can be persistent. Asking if he could see you at work was a low blow, well done with your response. How do you feel now Miss.Fit? Kate xx

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

He asked if he could stop by my work.

Tell him that is frowned upon by management.

You are there to WORK. NOT to entertain your private visitors.

The elder called again.

Unless they are suspicious that you are doing something "wrong", then he is probably sincere in wanting to encourage you. Don't be rude. Just be apathetic. He will finally move on to others or at least other things. He's likely just doing what he thinks is "right". Not all elders are Gestapo. Some definitely are.

Doc

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

He asked if he could stop by my work.

Unbelieviable. These JW elders who ask this do not have a clue how inappropriate this is. They are so full of self importance that they don't even consider how it could reflect on the person. Now this is a cult when it's elders think they have to come to your work over their petty rules. If it's a religion then people should be able to come and go from it. It's a cult when they pressure you and track you down because of petty cult policies & rules. What other religion has all these rule books, policies, procedures and letters of instruction? The JW religion is nothing but a religious corporation organization cult.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Kate: I feel lightened. Like a load has been lifted

I realize the elder is doing his job. He needs to line up some visits for the co.

My first reaction when the phone rang was to let it go to phone mail again.

But I decided that was giving them more power over me. It would be better for me to take control and meet this dead on than to hide cowering from a little phone call.

He sounded a little taken aback that I hadn't rearranged my schedule for the co.

I told him this a very busy time of year and thanked him for thinking of me.

I did tell my hubby Mr.fit who is not a believer, that he was right all along.

If someone calls on me that he doesn't know,

He has my permission to-(shoot them? He asks hopefully) no

(not unless there no witnesses and he could get away with it.)

Tell them I'm not available (acting crazy would be a bonus).

Miss.Fit of the lightened load class

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is a bloody nuisance that they have started this new idea of calling on the "inactive" ones, like me, every C.O's visit. I was left alone for years, and then two goons (Elders) knocked on my door unannounced a few days ago.

They got the works, and I reckon those two won't be back next time, if the scheme is still going.

It is obvious they are going for the " low hanging fruit" of people who have simply drifted away, but they call on the likes of me who hasn't stepped inside a Kingdom Hall for years.

If they call in about six months time they will get short shrift, unless they can answer my many deliberately damned awkward questions, if they cannot, which they cannot, I shall say "Go away and come back ONLY when you can".

• MissFit
    MissFit

I know what you mean. I thought I had slipped under the radar.

I hope I don't have to go through this every 6 months.

Miss.Fit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit