Escaping Indoctrination - Faith Isn't a Virtue.

by cofty 144 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

Phizzy,

So, mrhhome, is your god knowable in any way ?

Yes.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't actually think that stories which are entertaining have much to do with religion. There is this connection, though, that both provide enjoyable customs, habits which are comforting because they provide a constant in an uncertain life. But I think religion is largely about answering people's fear of death, as cofty has already indicated.

It also becomes a part of someone's tribalistic identity, simply because people need something to rally around. So disagreeing with someone's beliefs is, on a subconscious atavistic level, the same as threatening them with a club raised above your head. It's saying, "I'm from an enemy tribe, I'm not one of you." And on top of that, it threatens to overturn someone's belief about the afterlife, i.e., the only way they can think of escaping death. So it's doubly threatening. No wonder that people get defensive.

• cofty
    cofty

I think that an "intellectually honest" term woudl be speculation on the unknown rather than myths. - mrhhome

No that is not what I am objecting to all.

Religious people insist that they know many things despite all the evidence to the contrary.

They think it is a virtue to eschew the evidence - they call it faith.

• cofty
    cofty

No wonder that people get defensive - Apognophos

Indeed. We see that by the number of times criticising specific beliefs gets interpreted as attacking the believer, which provides justification to retaliate in kind.

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

jgnat

I would reach across and shake hands with you cofty, if I were to say that faith is a poor stand-in for fact.

I would agree with you as well. When confronted with hard, well vetted, irrefutable fact counter to ones faith, one needs to re-evaluate their faith.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Faith Isn't a Virtue

It was for me!

I don't have so much faith anymore.

What Jesus Christ said would happen, is really happening!

The overwhelming evidence drives any thought of skepticism beyond reasonable limits.

When it is already happening don't need faith that its going to happen.

How did he know exactly what would happen over 2000 years before it started happening?

Faith was a virtue.

Jesus Christ is awesome!

abe

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for illustrating my point.

• DJS
    DJS

So FeebleMindedDude shows up again with the same mantra. I will copy and paste it for him the next time. Abe, just pm me and I will do all the work for you.

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

So FeebleMindedDude shows up again with the same mantra. I will copy and paste it for him the next time. Abe, just pm me and I will do all the work for you.

Who has anger issues?

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

Thank you for illustrating my point.

At the moment, I am feeling like a victim of friendly fire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit