The dumest thing an elder ever said to me..

by new hope and happiness 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotNew
    NotNew

• I'm tired of people, including brother's and sisters "saying... show me in the Bible where it says that"!

SW

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

I don't remember the exact number, but during the announcements, "Only xxx months until October 1975."

2nd, "We would like to welcome a new baptized member to our congregation, ...."

• talesin
    talesin

"But if I left the [Lie], where would I go?"

DUH - anywhere on the planet, away from the pod people!

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Thanks for the laughs, i am glad i started this thread. Its nice to concentrate with smiles and laughter at the stupidity, because i think the dumb things elders said to me chipped away at my indoctrination and set me free.

I remember the P.O saying about people that celebrated xmas " they never learn". It wasnt so much the comment but the judgemental tone that got me cross. I remember i telephoned him and said " i found your comment very agressive". What was wierd was my phone comment didnt stop me being offerd the position of m/s weeks later. Lucky for me i turned the position down and never set foot in a K.H again.

I think in hindsight the " promotion" to M.S was offerd as a bribe to keep me on the straight and narrow. ( yes i know i had to meet the criteria but it was ovbiouse my heart wasnt in it)

• clarity
    clarity

Talked to an elder who was also annointed (woo hoo!)

about being depressed............all he said was...........

"well if you are depressed, you must be feeling guilty

about something" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yes clarity, the annointed: Throughout the ages there have always been people prepard to stand up and fight for what is right, and there have also always been the annointed.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Elders don't talk to me much. The time I went off on an elder about discouraging higher education, he said, "It is up to everyone's conscience." Which is why the WTBTS went to all that trouble to dismiss it, right?

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

For me it was this when I said I had doubts about the teachings rejecting evolution:

Well even the "world" has the creation museum in Kentucky, so this shows that we aren't alone in thinking evolution did not occur...

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

"If you read that book, it'll make you fall out of the truth." -- Said by an elder, not to me, but to someone else in conversation at a get-together. I'm including it because I can't think of something dumb an elder said to me (I don't talk to them much), and because it was a comment that got me thinking.

The time I went off on an elder about discouraging higher education, he said, "It is up to everyone's conscience."

Well, that's true, of course. It's up to our conscience after we've been warned for years about the danger and lack of spirituality in going to college.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

When my wife cheated on me, I had an elder tell me I should stay with her. He gave the example of Hosea and his adulterous wife Gomer. What planet was he from?

zed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit