Why Did the Governing Body Change Their Interpretation Of Matthew 24:45-47?

by Cameron_Don 36 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

FW - Do what?

• Heartofaboy
  • KateWild
    KateWild

So 1919 is still important - no? - Vand

Prologs said the same. I agree, WT teach the FDS were appointed in 1919 over the domestics and will be appointed in the future over the belongings. WT also teach that the GB are the FDS not the annointed.

So by extention if the GB/FDS say the will be appointed in the future during the GT, then they will.

I can't see how Captives of a Concept could have influenced this change. I am with punky, all changes ared driven by money and power.

Kate xx

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Kate

I am with punky, all changes ared driven by money and power.

TBH. When has the watchtower(r) ever shed 'new light(tm)' when it hasn't been about finances?

I wonder if there's a thread about that?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/208716/1/Is-there-anything-from-the-GB-that-isnt-about-them-getting-Money-and-Power

• Londo111
    Londo111

marked

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It may move their appointment to all his belongings to the future, but we must not forget that they also changed what that means. It used to be that "all his belongings" included:

These “belongings” include the growing “great crowd” of “other sheep.” - w09 2/15 p. 24 par. 3

Moreover, Jesus Christ has appointed the faithful and discreet slave “over all his belongings”—all Kingdom interests on earth. (Matt. 24:47) Included among these belongings are the facilities at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses, at branch offices in various lands, and at Assembly Halls and Kingdom Halls worldwide. Included too is the work of Kingdom-preaching and disciple-making. - w09 2/15 p. 26 par. 9

These things have been moved to the status of "domestics" and their current responsibility:

13 Who, then, are the domestics? Put simply, they are those who are fed. Early in the last days, the domestics were all anointed ones. Later, the domestics came to include the great crowd of other sheep. The other sheep now make up the vast majority of the “one flock” under Christ’s leadership. (John 10:16) Both groups benefit from the same timely spiritual food that is dispensed by the faithful slave. What about the Governing Body members who today make up the faithful and discreet slave? Those brothers also need to be fed spiritually. Hence, they humbly recognize that as individuals they are domestics just like all the rest of Jesus’ genuine followers.

14 Jesus placed a weighty responsibility on the faithful and discreet slave. In Bible times, a trusted slave, or steward, was a house manager. (Luke 12:42) The faithful and discreet slave is thus charged with the responsibility to manage the household of faith. That responsibility includes overseeing material assets, the preaching activity, assembly and convention programs, and the production of Bible literature for use in the field ministry and in personal and congregation study. The domestics depend on all the spiritual provisions dispensed by the composite slave.

- w13 7/15 p. 23 pars. 13,14

Thus, while admitting (and properly so) that Christ has not yet appointed them over all his belongings, they take what used to be considered all his belongings and placed them under their current charge.

Back to the OP, though, a passage that comes to mind is 2 Cor 11:12-15:

But what I am doing I will continue to do, in order to eliminate the pretext of those who are wanting a basis for being found equal to us in the things about which they boast. 13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing extraordinary if his ministers also keep disguising themselves as ministers of righteousness. But their end will be according to their works.

This may very well indicate that the disguise changes over time.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Prologos is correct

you they have not moved the appointment of the F&DS to a future event, this according the the July 15, 2013 WT did happen in 1919. What is future is the appointment over "all his belongings"

The WTS used to teach that the F&DS existed uninterrupted since Pentecost 33CE to our day. As Blondie pointed out, it was in 1919 that F&DS was appointed over all the belongings.

this meant that Russel was of the F&DS.

Now they teach that the F&DS was not appointed at all until 1919. This eliminates Russel as a member of the F&DS. It also sweeps under the rug all of the false teachings that the WTS was mired in up to that point. In fact, the cleansing period from 1914-1919 took place to rid them of these teachings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, was there not also inference that their imprisonment was due to these false teachings? and thus after they were released they were now the F&DS and cleaned up the org to what it is today?

This was a great way for the BOrg to disassociate themselves from Russel's lunacy, after all, he wan't of the F&DS, he was just a precursor to it, like John the Baptist was to Jesus. this also nicely connects the role of the F&DS to Jesus in its importance.

This was as insane as was ingenius

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Great thread, saving

• twice shy
    twice shy

They changed it this year again in one of the watchtowers before the overlapping generation watchtower at the end of April of this year.

• Emery
    Emery

It still doesn't make sense when you look at the sequence of events relating to Matthew 24:45-47. According to "old light", the Master left in Pentecost 33 AD and appointed a slave which had existed for over 1800 years, feeding each succeeding generation. This actually made some sense when you look at the scripture, however, with the "new light" they're actually trying to rewrite the parable to suggest the domestics fed themselves while the Master was away. They're completely ignoring the parable by saying that NO ONE was feeding the domestics WHILE the master was away (from 33CE to 1919 CE). The parable clearly says the appointed slave was given the RESPONSIBILITY to feed the domestics WHILE the master was away and would be rewarded for his faithful service by acting as a good custodian of the master's possessions. This doctrine is so completely ridiculous and cultic it is beyond me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit