Why Did the Governing Body Change Their Interpretation Of Matthew 24:45-47?

by Cameron_Don 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Cameron_Don
    Cameron_Don

Some have wondered if "Captives of a Concept" had anything to do with why the Governing Body changed their interpretation of the most important Scripture in their theology at their Annual Meeting on October 6, 2012.

This is because the book places great emphasis on the Society’s interpretation of Matthew 24:45-47 and then holds them to it while examining the organization’s history to make sure that went on in its history fits their interpretation. This comparison is essential to the Society’s claim to being “God’s organization.”

Their previous interpretation came from their former “most imminent Bible Scholar” President Frederick Franz’s in his "God’s Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached." Their history comes from their "JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom."

When comparing their history in the Proclaimers book with their interpretation of Matthew 24:45-47 in Franz’s book it becomes evident that they are so far out of sync that there is no reason to believe that the Watchtower Society has ever been God’s organization.

Apparently the Governing Body finally noticed this problem. And so at the above meeting they threw out Franz’s interpretation and replaced it with some of their own “new light.”

For example: Their “old light “ was that Jesus was so pleased with what the Society had had been teaching down till 1919 that he then appointed them over all his “belongings.”
    But a careful examination of just 48 of those pre-1919 teachings makes it impossible to believe that Jesus would have been pleased with any of them. Or as Raymond Franz expressed it…

"It would be an insult to Christ Jesus to say that he selected this organization on the basis of what it was teaching as of 1919."

Apparently the Governing Body too finally figured this out and therefore tried to fix it by turning ion the following “new light”…

"Jesus’ appointment of the “slave” over his “belongings must be a future event. He will make that appointment during the great tribulation.

They simply arbitrarily moved the date of that appointment away from 1919 to an unspecified date in the future. Why must it be a future event? Because, if the above appointment was available in 1919 the Society would not have qualified to receive it/

But now all of the sudden it doesn’t matter how much wrong food at the wrong time the Society had provided down till 1919. Now what matters is what the Society will be found teaching in the future. And the Governing assures the Witnesses that at that time they will be found providing the right spiritual food at the proper time and therefore receive Jesus’ “belongings” appointment then.

While it is easy to prove that the Society had not been faithful or discreet about so many of their pre-1919 teachings, it is impossible to disprove what the Society will or won’t be teaching in the future. The Governing Body likes it that way.

And of course if it doesn’t turn out that way there will always be plenty of “new light” to fix whatever will need to be fixed at that time.

How do people get to think like this? And how do millions of other people not see anything wrong with it? I keep going back to what the Apostle Paul explained at 2Thessalonians 2:10,11…

"Because they did not accept the love of the truth that is why God lets an operation of error go to them so that they may get to believing the lie.”

Whether or not "Captives of a Concept" helped them notice the above problem, it hasn’t helped them fix it. It would seem that the “operation of error” seems to be blocking them from being able to get the sense of what it all means. And that is that the Watchtower Society must not be “Jehovah’s organization.”

Don Cameron

• sporece
    sporece

The same reason why they change every other doctrine. Blind organization leading others.

Of course all the other religions are not any better.

• designs
    designs

Just one issue- If you are claiming that Paul had anything close to 'the Truth'. The underlying and fundamental problems with Christianity are the divergent views of its early writers.

2 Thess. is a perfect example of a religious zealot in love with his own ideas. The hubris of thinking he had 'the truth'. The Bishops who followed were all drawn to the same mental trap- thinking that some divine being was speaking to them.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I thought 1919 still involved an appointment , but not over all the Master's goods, just some, and not involving all the remaining anointed, but just the WTS leaders at the time. And somehow this appointment status was transmitted to all subsequent leaders in NY acting in unison as the Faithful Slave.

So 1919 is still important - no?

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Thank you for the insightful post. There are many things that spur on the type of changes we have seen over the past few years. I believe that "Captives" may indeed have had some effect. I believe, moreso, that there is a single element that has had more to do with these changes than anything else....Narcissism. That's right...I said it. These GB believe that THEY are the fulfillment of prophecy. They must believe that Jah's timetable was simply waiting for each of them to be added to the mix. Kind of like when all the planets align in some hollywood type sci-fi movie. When that happens, bad things are gonna take place.

I encourage everyone to examine the history of the Borgia's and the Rovere's in Italy during Michelangelo, particularly as it relates to their belief about being destined by God to see prophecy fulfilled through them. Interesting similarities with this GB's mindset.

SOP

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I'm only guessing, but I have a feeling this change was made as some kind of legal manuver over the pedophile lawsuits.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w09 1/15 p. 31 par. 2 Highlights From the Book of Revelation—I ***

In 1919, Jesus placed “the key of the house of David” upon the shoulder of “the faithful and discreet slave” by appointing that slave class “over all his belongings.”—Isa. 22:22; Matt. 24:45, 47.

• Splash
    Splash

Even huge U-turns like this are news for only a couple of months before the new ideas are subsumed into the collective mindset.

I don't know if there is anything that would startle the majority into thinking for themselves.

Splash

• Listener
    Listener

I believe the change was made because they wanted to take away any authority from the anointed and place it only upon the Governing Body.

On another point, since they have changed their idea that they have not yet been appointed over all Christ's belongings means that they were acting with no authority for all those years up until their change of thought in 2012. That is, they believed they had all authority up until 2012 and as such, they would have been acting with this knowledge and yet they now agree that this had not yet been given to them.

So if Jesus had appointed them in 1919 to feed the flock then they went way beyond this appointment by claiming he appointed them over all his belongings as well. Would Jesus have appointed such a body if they were going to misunderstand their appointment? Would Jesus appoint such a body if they were going to act beyond the authority he bestowed upon them? Have they made a public and private apology to Jesus for believing they had more power and authority than they now have come to believe?

Who was it that corrected their error in thinking that they were no longer appointed over all Christ's belongings. Surely if it was Christ then he would have made this appointment clear to them on the initial appointment in 1919. If they have so easily misunderstood their appointment then anything they have said (or fed the flock) would be full of misunderstandings, which is in fact what we see.

They have made it self evident that their thinking was just 'man's thinking' and their was never any appointment of any kind. It is a wonderful thing that by their own teachings they prove themselves wrong.

• designs
    designs

Writing and teaching has always been confined to a very select few, from the time of Russell to the present.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit