Has Anyone Heard Whether The New JW Bible Is Liked As Much As The Old One?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

My mom told me that she, my brother and his wife really didn't like this new Bible.

When I asked her why, she said they dropped the headings on the top of the pages and that just wasn't as good.

Have you heard any pros and cons about the new good book?

• minimus
    minimus

lol, i guess not

• BU2B
    BU2B

The ones around here seem to like it. The mentality is that everything new from the GB must be an improvement by default. A gift from Jehovah..

At least thats what they will say.

• minimus
    minimus

I still don't understand what the real difference is.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It's very simple... the new Bible has a more easy read in English. In reality, not much has changed. It's a matter of audience. Do you want a functional Bible that appeals to a wider audience? Or a technical Bible that stays closer to the original language? WTBTS seems to be trying to balance between the two, much like the NET, NIV and ESV. This revision gets them more toward the functional than the technical.

One thing they should not have done is added their biased commentaries. This is a big no-no in the translation community, but they seem to ignore that sort of thing.

I agree with whoever said they missed the running headings. They were a lot more useful than the outline at the beginning of each chapter. I undersand they got rid of it because it's a pain to update for each language. I get that. Makes sense. My take is: get rid of the outline, too. The outline contains paraphrased commentary, thus the term "governing body" got inserted in the outline in Acts.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Maybe it was a way to test the loyalty of the r/f.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Whatever the GB serve up has to be good, saying otherwise is the same as speaking against Jehovah.

However I have heard a few negative comments, one regarding the headers as above and the other is regarding the colour. Several have said they would prefer black and the grey is marking up badly already.

My wife prefers her old large print to the new large print. The old one has hard covers.

George

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

No negative comments at all....everything the GB provides, it is from Jehovah,right?right!....right????

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Yes the GB provided it like a Miracle so yes they are all blessed and love it so much. Your family is going to Hell!!

• minimus
    minimus

I miss the green bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit