STARTING OVER with my Elderette - What Does the Bible REALLY Teach?

by Faithful Witness 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I enjoy these posts fw.

Trouble is I can just see all the thought stopping claptrap you are having to endure. It is not always easy to spot them or counter them when you are 'live' in the 'study®'.

All you are getting is cult propaganda.

Bless your old cotton socks.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has said that the original language in the garden of Eden was Hebrew, that Noah and Shem would not have had their language confused at Babel, that Shem is the forefather of the Jews, so they speak the original language. They believe that then all in the new system will speak that language, speaking God's name in the original language.

*** w74 1/15 p. 43 How One Language Will Bring Unity to Mankind ***

What was the one original language? It was undoubtedly what later came to be called Hebrew. Why can we say this? Well, when the confusion of tongues occurred at the Tower of Babel, not all were affected. Noah had not rebelled. He recognized God’s sovereignty, not making himself king, as Nimrod did. Noah’s son Shem, whom Noah had prophetically blessed, evidently stayed with Noah and with true worship. (Gen. 9:26, 27) The Bible record reveals that true worship was carried down through the Shemites, particularly through the outstanding man of faith, Abraham. Abraham (Abram) was called a Hebrew.—Gen. 14:13.

Later, Moses, a descendant of Abraham, wrote his account (Genesis through Deuteronomy) in a language called Hebrew. There may well have been little change in Moses’ language from the original language spoken by Adam. Why? Because men then enjoyed very long life-spans, their lives often overlapping into five or six generations. Therefore, the language could have been passed down through only five human links between Adam and Moses, namely, Methuselah, Shem, Isaac, Levi, Amram. (Gen. 5:3-32; 11:10-32; 21:5; 25:26; 29:34; Ex. 6:16, 18, 20) Of course, after the exile of Israel to Babylon in 607 B.C.E., and right on down to our modern times, the Hebrew language has been influenced by other languages. Too, the exact pronunciation of God’s name as spelled out in the Hebrew of Moses’ day is not now known. But God can easily restore the purity of the language so that those living in the New Order will speak it naturally and fluently.

• Mum
    Mum

So, you should not listen to ex-JW's? Then, is it okay to listen to ex-Mormons, ex-Catholics, ex-anything else? JW's, when I was around them, loved to trade stories about their former churches. Ask her if you should listen to ex-Mormons? I have read two books by ex-Mormon women. Does she think these women lied about their experiences? Why?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Sure. I see, telling someone "your blood is on my hands" is not in the least manipulative or self-sparing.

What a selfless angel using her time and gas trying to save your life.

Wow, I might just go back, I had no idea their motive was love for people. I thought it was all about saving their own skins come the big A.

Silly me. I learn something new everyday about these horribly maligned people.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Mum: Great question! I should ask her that, as I have friends who were raised Amish. They have similar issues with their family.

NeverKnew: I think she will be prepared for this kind of thing happening. She made that little disclaimer, saying that she wanted to only discuss what the Bible says... "Not that this book isn't TRUE..."

Punk: I am learning a lot from her methods. Things look so much different, now that I realize that it isn't the TRUTH she is teaching. You are right. It is hard to follow her line of reasoning, and also to be aware of the many contradictions she makes of her own words. She sometimes seems to be arguing with herself.

It's like she wants to admit the problems in her reasoning, before I bring them up... like she is heading me off from an objection, by admitting it is true before I have to say it. (like how she mentions "apostate websites" and "adjustments.") I think it is time for me to ask her to specify what she is referring to...

Blondie: Is there any current light, regarding the name of Jehovah, and how they decided to stick with this pronunciation? I have the article in the May Watchtower (public): "Do Jehovah's Witnesses Believe in Jesus? - If they do, why don't they call themselves 'Jesus' Witnesses?' " http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20140501/jehovahs-witnesses-believe-in-jesus/

So far, I have not resorted to using old publications with her. Since she is so convinced that the truth can change, I don't know how much weight an old article would have at this point.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's like she wants to admit the problems in her reasoning, before I bring them up... like she is heading me off from an objection, by admitting it is true before I have to say it. (like how she mentions "apostate websites" and "adjustments.") I think it is time for me to ask her to specify what she is referring to...

Aha. the old red herring tactics seem to be in play here.

Ask her specifics and you'll get more red herrings I wager.

• galaxie
    galaxie

F.W.;...I'm sure there is a smokescreen with these ' red herrings ' I think your being ' kippered'. Lol

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I realize how she has me dancing on a string. Any time I even hint at a suspicion or observation, she will jump in with something like, "Like what?" or "What are you referring to?"

Regarding the students who don't end up convinced... she seems to have several of those also. She has mentioned a few times, "Some people study for quite some time, and then just stop. I don't know why." She told me that if at any point I just come to the conclusion that this isn't for me, I can just tell be honest with her and quit. She doesn't want me to "Keep studying, just so I won't hurt HER feelings."

I told her before she came over the first time, and she was saying "I don't want to waste your time EITHER..." I did inform her that I had no plans of becoming a Jehovah's Witness. I think that comment lit a spark in her, and motivated her to help me find the truth.

To this, I told her that I still have a lot of questions, and that I'm still willing to see what a JW has to say about them. "I am a fair-minded person, and will listen to both sides of the story. Although, that is what got me in trouble before!"

She said something like, "You do seem to be an honest person, and I know you have concerns for your family. You don't strike me as one of the 'Take Down the Watchtower!' types."

I was slightly taken aback, that she even knew such people existed! I just said, "No... I don't have the power to do that!"

Anyway... I am learning a lot about how a fully programmed JW mind works against opposition. I'm hoping that as I recognize the patterns and reactions I get from Miss K, I will be able to find some ways to peck away at my dad's wall. The cement is still freshly poured around his once critical mind. I know he will be full of vigor, after the upcoming convention... but I do look forward to making arrangements to see him in a few weeks.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

She has mentioned a few times, "Some people study for quite some time, and then just stop. I don't know why."

Yeah, I wonder.....

She told me that if at any point I just come to the conclusion that this isn't for me, I can just tell be honest with her and quit. She doesn't want me to "Keep studying, just so I won't hurt HER feelings."

I bet she'll still call on you and offer you the mags or something so she can count time and hopefully allure you in to the cult.

I'm sure the poor old bird is genuine.....she's a victim of the corporation con............ she's just totally deluded as a result.

Bless her old cotton socks.

Her life is hell but she can't see it.

• menrov
    menrov

NeverKnew, sorry but I disagree. As I read the 2 paragraphs, they do not contradict. In both it explains bad things do not come from God, it is not God's will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit