Head coverings for women

by Comatose 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Comatose
    Comatose

My mom used to throw a paper napkin on her head when forcing us to study after I was baptised. I've seen scarves, and shawls, and a very few hats.

Isn't using a napkin on your head just the same as not bothering? What a dumb rule too. It boggles my mind how demeaning religion is to women. If you had a baby girl in Israel you were unclean for longer? Come on. What a bunch of crap. Many sisters are smarter than the elders in halls. Silly rules.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've seen it worse than not bothering.

Used napkins.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

No different then many fundementals.

The law for girl being unclean longer then boys was partially sexist but mostly because they boys needed to be circuscised on the 8th day ritually. Girls didn't need to.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

When I was a teen, my study conduct or put a napkin on her head one time to conduct a study when a baptised brother was present.

Kind of takes away from the seriousness of it all, right?

Phae

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I read this explained once, as the need for women to "lower" themselves due to the Biblical referance to power and strength and symbol of authority connected to hair given to women by the angels. In effect they were more powerful than that baptised male, and were requested to cover thier "power" to allow the baptised male to assume it.

So, woman hold more power, yet they are asked to defer it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Misogyny is one of the major issues I had with the JWs. I refuse to join any group that wants to subjugate/oppress anyone, including women.

• blondie
    blondie

One of those 18x18 cloth napkins?

I never saw any disreputable headcoverings, sisters carried a nice scarf in their bookbag/meeting bag. There was always a scarf in the room where jws met at the hall. Especially female regular pioneers were counseled to always have a headcovering. So if the other sister was not a pioneer, you were prepared.

So not having one on a regular basis...probably not an accident. I knew some feisty older sisters who were out in service everyday but if some 15-year-old brother showed up, baptized and all, he was in charge...couldn't even drive. My one brother was the first baptized at 15 and was not qualified. I doubt that the 15-year old would have been allowed to conduct the meeting for field service if an older baptized brother were there.

Elders or ex-elders, what happens if a reinstated brother on restrictions shows up for the group meeting? He can't pray, can a sister with a headcovering or is a no prayer today.

• tiki
    tiki

ohhh - i have seen the paper napkin thing.........oh yes, and oh yes, insanely stupid. and no penises were necessarily present either - no matter how young. bunch of females (several moronic) meet together and the one that "takes the lead" drapes the paper napkin on her empty skull. how very holy.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Isn't using a napkin on your head just the same as not bothering?-Coma

Yep really sexist and stupid. The napkin was a paper excersise LOL! Your mum ticked all the boxes. She did as she was told. Hehehe!

The bible is sexist too. 1Cor14.34,35 about women keeping silent, no chance could I ever follow that I have always got too much to say. Kate xx

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

In connection with "headship," which is the basis for the WT headcovering idea, see here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit