Head coverings for women

by Comatose 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

When I was a teenager, one of the publications stated that a wife had to 'subjugate' herself to her husband. I had to look that word up.

subjugate - verb: bring under domination or control, especially by conquest. eg. "the invaders had soon subjugated most of the native population"
    synonyms: conquer, vanquish, defeat, crush, quash, bring someone to their knees, enslave, subdue, suppress

My immediate reaction was "Hell No! I ain't doin' this shiite!"

I was watching this play out in my own life between my parents and it was NOT working at all. My Mom abdicated all responsibility for herself and her life. Her individuality, her personality were slowly withering away... and she was miserable.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi All,

I think this was a topic once before...See 1 Cor. 11:15: 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her instead of a covering. 16 However, if anyone wants to argue in favor of some other custom, we have no other, nor do the congregations of God. So from this scripture, what do we gather....ummm, that maybe if a woman has long hair, then that may serve as a headcovering ? & verse 16 brings out...it shouldn't be a debate or rather written in stone. Maybe it could be a choice of the woman. Opinions anyone ?

Legacy

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Another ridiculous rule courtesy of the Watchtower society. Another example of reading the bible and take it at face value instead of trying to understand why is was done and what it meant.

The fact is that at that time, head coverings were a sign of submission. The reason why it makes no sense to follow this ritual now is because today, and especially in our culture, head coverings have no such meaning.

Also the bible says:

For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head" (1 Cor. 1:3-6).

There you go folks, you read it. The alternative to covering your head, is to cut your hair short. But then it goes on to say that it is disgraceful for a woman to have short hair; how many JW sisters have short hair? Why is it not disgraceful?

But if the Watchtower says having short hair is not disgraceful, then if you are a sister and have short hair, there is no need to cover your head, since that is an acceptable alternative according to the bible.

• bobert
    bobert

Silly rules that come from the bible. Just be happy the JWs don't follow the Mosaic law, lol.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Blondie, You attended a KH with better sensibility than I did. McDonald's supplied napkins. There were also lace handkerchiefs available at the five and dime. I always brought my family members home handkerchiefs from every junior high shopping trip. My father always received a monogramed handkerchief with a chip of something. I was so young I thought I was buying diamonds. I never bought anything for myself.

I liked my taste so people received what I wanted to get. Also, I had problems with sizes. Somehow the clothing always fit me.

My father could become very violent about gifts. It is sad but I bought everyone Christmas Gifts with my first part time job. I was so afraid of what he would do if I brought home the wrong gift that I did not buy him a gift. It was postponed. He died before Christmas.

I had more fun at McCrorys and Woolworths as a junior high student than at Cartiers and Bergdorf-Goodmans later.

The women were muuch brighter and knew WT doctrine better than the men did.

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

I always wondered why they didn't require the sisters to do something like the Amish or Mennonites and wear some head

covering ALL THE TIME! Some how that made more sense to me than the old napkin routine!!

• kaik
    kaik

I never seen napkins in our KH, but scarfs were rule. But also it was in Eastern Europe where women in countryside still wear babuska, so it was not unusual. Some sisters has full drawer of various scars and also they tied them differently all the time. Some of the scarfs had knot under the chin (real babuska), other behind, some also tied a knot on top that they looked like witches. Also some elder sisters used something like a dyed red -pink diaper that they wrapped around the head.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

'Because of the angels...." <<< Jewish Mysticism... Hellenistic Jews came up with that idea of demigods having sex with girls before the flood. The WT loves this idea because.... Ellen G White loved it.... The WT are a reboot of the 7 day Adventists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit