Plans for huge Jehovah's HQ take shape

by insidetheKH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

PLANS for a huge Jehovah’s Witness “commune” on the outskirts of Chelmsford are gathering pace.

The International Bible Students Association, the charity which manages Jehovah’s Witnesses’ printing and literature distribution, wants to create a new British headquarters.

The 82-acre site (about 15 football pitches) at Temple Farm site, off Ship Road, West Hanningfield.

The plans include a printery - producing Bible-based literature - admin and language translation offices, video and sound production studios, an auditorium, training centre and workshops all on site.

Plus there will be one and two bedroom apartments - for up to 1,200 residents and visitors - along with onsite caterers, laundrettes and healthcare facilities.

The site would also have its own energy centre - making it self-sufficient - and a new access road would also be built from Temple Wood.

A resident from Stock, 60, who didn’t want to be named, said: “It’s all a bit Sci-fi if you ask me. It’s a very unusual development, a commune really. I wouldn’t say I was against it as it is all a bit of a mess at that site at the moment.”

The land, currently occupied by a car breakers yard, was removed from the green belt by Chelmsford City Council in 2008 and earmarked for employment use.

IBSA agreed to buy the land from its current owners in December, as long as they get planning permission for the project. The deal is expected to exceed £10million. The council did not confirm who the current land owners were.

Colin Massey, from CSM Consultancies for the developers, was speaking at public meetings in West Hanningfield and Stock at the weekend.

He said: “The management of historic contamination, and enhanced public footpaths through the countryside are just two positive benefits.

“A few understandable concerns were raised, such as traffic implications, design of buildings etc but most visitors were reassured when they were able to study and discuss actual details of the proposals.

“The reaction of the overwhelming majority of visitors was very positive.”

In January, Michael Bowers of ASB Skips was £6,000 fined by Chelmsford Magistrates for running illegal waste sites on the land and there is a history of enforcement notices served on previous owners.

In a letter to the council, IBSA said the land was “likely” to be contaminated.

IBSA’s headquarters is currently located in Mill Hill, North London. The charity sais it had chosen Temple Farm for its new home because it has “excellent transport links and is set in a beautiful rural location”.

--------------------------------------------------

A COUNCILLOR said plans for the live/work centre will improve the area - and that Jehovah’s Witnesses will make great neighbours.

Michael Harris, the Conservative ward councillor for Bicknacre, East and West Hanningfield, said: “I believe this development will make a huge, favourable difference to the area. It’s been a dreadful site for some time.

“There will be some areas of concern, but I would like to see this put in place as soon as possible.”

He added that the Jehovah’s Witnesses will make great neighbours. He said: “Before I retired, I worked for a construction company and these people were our corporate neighbours and they were always superb.”

http://www.chelmsfordweeklynews.co.uk/news/11227290.Plans_for_huge_Jehovah_s_HQ_take_shape/?ref=var_0

• jgnat
    jgnat

It looks like a fire sale purchase, as the site will require remediation.

Kind of like the purchase of the Devil's Lake dance hall here in Alberta.

• cantleave
    cantleave

So the land is already contaminated - the WT can add to that no doubt!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

So is this an example of the gb going to use free labor to clean up the toxic mess and not properly tell them of the possible hazards. All so the gb can make another killing when they sell off the property.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Yeah, like the JW I overheard on a KH remodel who matter of factly stated: "The GB cares about safety!"

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

My gut feeling is that all of Europe's branch offices will end up being consolidated (closed) into this one giant compound in the UK.

Eden

• insidetheKH
    insidetheKH

@Eden no they wont. For example, ever visited the Germany branch and printery? Look at its size. Another example is the branch office in the Netherlands. There is the ICT department of the Watchtower bible and Tract Society and its a location a lot of goods are transported to the rest of the world. It will also expand the coming years. Has also to do with the Netherlands being an important international Internet Hub. AMS-IX is within the top 3 of the worlds biggest Internet Exchange Points. Also the UK is not the best option, if you look at it logistically, to supply many other parts of Europe.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

I think it is possible the European branches will begin closing quickly. There was a time when jws were known for the infinite number of books that they printed. Eventually they will have to scale back on printing because they are well aware that publishing is their only true money wasting activity.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Hey jgnat: yes, I remember the Devil's Lake Corral purchase - The Halton Hills Country Club cut a sweet deal with CIBC. Huge upkeep and cost and rural roads to connect it to civilzation. Twice I went off the road in winter.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Doesn't the WT paint a lovely picture to the press and nieghbour. It sickens me as the WT and it's policies have hurt so many. If this project is going to cost £10 million the poor sheeple are footing the bill. The papers should be aware of the new pledge arrangement, it really ruffles my feathers that they have only printed half of the story.

I am so glad that we are not donating anymore, I am sure my ex is though, to keep up appearances of course, while he is lying to the courts about me.

So has anyone got any info of the sale of Mill Hill properties. I know some Bethelites have moved already.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit