Any tips for safe web surfing?

by compound complex 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• glenster
  • GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Keep everything you run up-to-date (that means replacing an old Windows XP machine, because XP isn't supported any more).

Use Chrome, Firefox or Opera instead of Internet Explorer. As the biggest target, IE attracts the most attention from the evil-doers.

Set your browser to the tightest security settings you can tolerate, including Javascript settings.

Use Ad-Block and Flash-block browser extensions. Be wary of where any Flash content comes from before you run it.

Use a good anti-virus program and Spybot Search-and-Destroy.

Set up a guest account on your computer and use that for web browsing, not a "computer administrator" account.

• glenster
    glenster

Microsoft PC Safety Security Related Support
    Free help to remove PC viruses
    1-866-72-723389
    1-866-PC-SAFETY
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCsafety

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Your on an iMac ? Microsoft solutions will NOT work on a Mac OS

How old is your computer ? I own two Macs and have alyways owned

them and if yours is a recent model and running at least, Lion 10.7.5

it should have built in firewalls. What Browsers do you use ?

Since its a Mac then I am astounded. I have had Macs since the i980's

and I never once got a virus or hacked. I am on a 27" iMac 2012

right now. It may have to do with your provider not having proper firewalls.

You can set preference in your browser as well. Did this come in an email?

You know the rule - don't open unknown sources who email you with offers.

You can call Apple as well since the PC safety stuff is not Macintosh relevant.

Are you running Microsoft Windows over the Mac OS ? In that case you could

be vulnerable to viruses, because of the Microsoft product, I would suggest

you disable and uninstall any Microsoft product.

• Apognophos
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, glenster, tirebiter, caa, villagegirl and Apognophos!

Your comments and direction help a lot.

Villagegirl: I don't know how to answer all your questions. Yes, iMacs appear free from what plagues pcs. The old desktop I'm on now has safeguards that appear regularly to alert me. The 10-year-old iMac laptop given me (the object of this thread) had not been cleaned up of the former owner's stuff; as a result, it was difficult to operate in an optimum manner because, on delivery, I was given no passwords. All procedures were blocked as a result. No updates and regular check-ups made it vulnerable, I'm surmising.

Thanks for all your input!

CC

• Teary Oberon
    Teary Oberon

I always tell people that there is no such thing as truly 'safe' web searching outside of virtual networks, program isolation and live booting. If there is a direct connection from the internet to your main hard drive, then it can be hacked and you are at risk, no matter how many anti-virus programs you run.

If you want a complete security package, I would go with TAILS (The Amnesiac Incognito Live System). It is a bundle of various different security programs, running off its own unique operating system on an external USB drive that has no connection to your main hard drive whatsoever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_(operating_system)

You could also look into Virtual Private Networks (VPN's) if you want additional privacy (though typically TOR is already more than enough and its free):

http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-should-start-using-a-vpn-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one-for-your-needs

Here also is an overview for Sandboxie. As the description says, it " creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandboxie

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Using adblock plus for google chrome and poper blocker might help too.

• tornapart
    tornapart

CoCo, adding to what everyone else has said, I use the WOT (Web Of Trust) add-on to my browser. When you google anything or want to find out if a website is safe it will rate it for you. Red, green or yellow circles denote it's safety or lack of. The ratings come from it's millions of users based on their own findings. You'll probably find a number of ex-JW websites have been given the red unsafe circle but it seems the rating comes from Jws!

Find it on www.mywot.com

• Elsa
    Elsa

Keep Fire Wall upto date (If u have firefox) Also i would recomend keeping a hard drive to keep all of ur files just incase ur computer crashes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit