Is The Governing Body Open To Lawsuits In Some Countries Over Enforced Shunning Of Ex Members?

by frankiespeakin 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Cult in a High School:

http://nypost.com/2014/05/23/high-schoo ... eath-cult/

..........................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is interesting how nonlawyers find exactly what they want in legal cases. A trend exists but not a single case is cited. Countries....yet no country is named.The law supports the right of religious belief. There is NO trend, I suspect. Just wishes from members on JWN. I can see the Supreme Court relying on what JWN members think. Some people here are delusion.

• jwstudy
    jwstudy

Band on the Run, Thank you for reply. I mentioned the legal case in Japan. I did not say the case apply to geological scatterd religous community who shun specific person who live in remote area. But If the situation are same, I think the religioous belief is not execuse for exempt.

I know JW related legal case connection with shunning policy in US back to 1980s.

Basic principle are same in most of countries including european countries and Japan.

I am not sure if you understand what I want to say. Yes, The law supports the right of religious belief. But it is not always the absolute freedom of behavor.

If there are situation the group shunning are viewed as harassment or blackmail. A person could get damage reward in civil lawsuit. But I know such a situation is rare and I don't know exact Jehovah's Witnesses court case.

I think it is wrong to conclude that shunning behavor are always right when you read the
    "Paul v. Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc." case.

"Shunning" in Jehovah's Witness community is not simple, it is not just "a person quit to associate with a person". It involves many things. There are processes , such as secret judicial meeting, introgation of private matters, threatening family members who socialize with ex-member, etc.

Whether harassment and threatening are involved in the process or not are uncertain. I belive it required specific condition if "shunning" itself has emotional damage.

And the matter is not only with civil lawsuit, but also with governmental recognition of religious or chality status.

Jehovah's witnesses official policy is shunning the person who willingly accept blood transfusion or who support political party. They said "a person disassociate themselves". But in reality, the shunning policy are religious sanction and controlling factors among JW members.

This may lead to Jehovahs Witness religion are illegal in some sense in some countries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit