Is The Governing Body Open To Lawsuits In Some Countries Over Enforced Shunning Of Ex Members?

by frankiespeakin 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

What say you?

Have they crossed some sort of legal line when they enforce shunning of ex members? Can they get sued for harassment? What are the legal boundaries they have crossed by enforce shunning of ex member by threatening Disfellowshipping of any member not shunning certain individuals? Are they committing what would be considered a hate crime in some developed countries?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

What legal boundaries are you thinking of? JWs have been banned outright before, so I'm sure a nation could pass laws that would cause JW policies to cross legal lines. If you wondering whether there shunning should be illegal, I would say no. Personally, I don't think they have crossed a legal line. I do not think they should be sued for harassment.

MMM

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Personally, I don't think they have crossed a legal line. I do not think they should be sued for harassment.

We all have opinions and thats cool but have they gotten themselves in hot water over their hate speach and cruel hassament policies involving those who are no longer members. Also can they loss their nonprofit status(or charity status or what ever status they hide behind) for such hateful practices that even involve ones own children. I do think the times are a changing for WT corporation and they are not quite up to speed.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@frankiespeakin:

Like I said at the start of the first comment, they could be in hot water in various nations if there are laws passed against such policies (and the nation doens't care about religious freedom or freedom of association). It has happened before, and it wouldn't suprise me if it happened again.

But if you are just trying to have a discussion as to whether they are in fact harassing people, or violating human rights, independently from whatever nation's laws you might be thinking of, then I would come down on the side of the WT. I don't think they are harassing anyone. Now, if the elders of congrgation XYZ disfellowship an individual, or if an inidividual disassociates, and the elders continue to contact, talk about, follow, etc - then that is harassment, yes.

MMM

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

The way I see it is that in most countries a non profit organization that claims to be a religion (except in mexico*see clickable) or some other type of organization to avoid paying taxes, are not exempt from following what might be called common decency codes of conduct towards people no longer considered members and no long bound to their rules.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080210225006AAbLQXz

So I'm thinking not only do they have this huge finacial problem with all these child molestation lawsuits, they will soon be facing a lot of lawsuits because of their "enforcement policies" that apply to shunning former members. Because they have laws on the books(paper trail) that spell out specifically that if one is caught fellowshipping with a disfellowshipped member they will face disfellowshipping by a congregation tribunal. This type of enforcement make them open to harassment lawsuits, and god knows what else. I really think the Governing Body is its own worst enemy and they are much too late to fix it now.

The way I see it the Governing Body have painted themselves into a corner and have not responded to the present situation in a way that reflects wise CEOs of their Corporation, they have become steeped in denial, and magical thinking that it has messed up their ability to respond to the present crisis and have made serious blunders that will bankrupt the Corporation.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I don't see them having an issue with the disfellowshipping - not in a nation that respects freedom of association. The child molestation, however, is a different story.

Also, if push comes to shove, they will pay the tax - but it will just get passed down to the members. And with that their persecution complex will be fed. Or they may find a nifty little way around the problem, with the end result being the same.

MMM

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Give it time and it will I'm sure of it. These old farts don't know what they are doing. Which I think I can safetly say of these delusional goons running this Corporation, they always opt for the quick fix hopeing Armageddon will solve all their problems.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

O and I think this New donation arrangement is another quick fix to keep them from being charged with misappropriation of funds. Not to mention it shows a preparedness in their business management to liquidate thier assets for these financial mishaps due to their not being so discreet and faithful in running god's organization.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

O and I think this New donation arrangement is another quick fix to keep them from being charged with misappropriation of funds. Not to mention a preparedness to liquidate thier assets in preperation for these financial mishaps due to their not being so discreet and faithful in running god's organization.

I think Frankie is right-on about that.

But I do think that shunning due to religious cauese, esp of minors, is being thought of as a "hate crime" in more and more circles. Many governments (ie the US) will stay out of religion, but others (look at what's happening in Finland) will not be so apathetic.

Doc

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

This Menlo Park Scandal is no doubt the reason behind the new donation policies and all proceeds being under the WT complete control. They are getting ready for liquidation more and more property as hassle free as possible and the Menlo Park fiasco is just the beginning of a mass sell off to pay lawsuits.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/230399/1/Has-anyone-heard-of-Secret-Disfellowshipping-by-Jehovahs-Witnesses-Menlo-Park-Ca-Congregation-Update#.U3o8bfldUVg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit