"But the Basics haven't changed"

by Phizzy 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Oubliette,

Thanks for the bullet points under " Gentile Times ended 1914".

Would it be possible to post links where I could get more info. on each of those?

Thanks in anticipation

HT

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I was just thinking too:

The basics of most diseases havent changed either! But that doent mean we want to go and catch something either!

Or:

Use the illustration the WT loves using re a little bit of poison: " if a glass of fresh water has just a tiny, tiny drop of poison in it, would you drink it if thirsty?"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

hairtrigger: Thanks for the bullet points under " Gentile Times ended 1914". Would it be possible to post links where I could get more info. on each of those?

Certainly!

I was reposting a comment by 00DAD from this thread:

The comment I re-posted is on the 2nd page of the thread and is a summary of all the comments before.

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Oubliette,

Thank you for the source.

Appreciate your help.

HT

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

oubliette i meant it hadn't changed since my baptism and i think they always viewed it as the end of the gentile times from 1877

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Ucantnome: oubliette i meant it hadn't changed since my baptism ...

Ok, how would I know what you meant when you didn't specify? I was responding in relation to the context of the OP.

Also, the only way that "the basics" could have remained the same since your baptism is if you were baptized after the publication of the July 15, 2013 WT.

Ucantnome: and i think they always viewed it as the end of the gentile times from 1877

That's true, but what that teaching has meant changed significantly since Russell's time. And the WTBTS has repeatedly lied about that.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Laika: Have JWs kept any of the doctrines they had in 1919? Apart from an emphasis on using the name Jehovah to refer to god I can't think of any?

Designs: The basics he was referring to probably have to do with Jehovah being God and Jesus being his son but not God and the HS being God's active force. Limited number going to heaven. Armageddon preceeding the paradise earth. No Hell fire. Resurrection of the dead to earth and a few other things haven't changed over the years.

Phizzy: All the other stuff that you mention Designs, has not changed, true, but is not unique to the W.T. The Unique teachings, which are the touchstone for judging if it is the "truth", have all changed.

So the point is, the teachings that have remained the same are not unique to JWs. There is no reason to be a JW if they alone do not possess "the truth." If what they taught before was correct, then what they teach now is not. Another reason to not be a JW.

And it is completely ludicrous to try to assert the converse. If they now suddenly have it all right, then they've been teaching falsehoods and incorrect doctrine for well over a century. You might as well be a Catholic or a Rastafarian.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think it depends what you call the basics. When i got baptized they taught 1914 end of gentile times. 144000 go to heaven. Armageddon soon. Go hall knock on doors. Wear tie keep trousers on.

basics.

• baldeagle
    baldeagle

Marked, good comments.

• Splash
    Splash

For every teaching that has stayed the same, I can name another 5 that have changed.

Or, for every teaching that has stayed the same, I can name another one which has changed 5 times!

Splash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit