"But the Basics haven't changed"

by Phizzy 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A couple of days ago in Town I met a JW guy I have known since he was a kid in diapers, he is now an Elder and must be 40 yrs old, still a kid to me, though.

He gave me the spiel about "We would love to see you come back " , I said that I could not come back to the religion I had left as it no longer existed (a line I got from my friend Bill), this Elder replied that there "had been changes, but the basics remain the same".

I just was not quick enough with this one, I just sort of nodded at that and went on about what I simply could not swallow as "truth". Overlapping generation etc etc.

What he was meaning by the Basics being the same is that nothing has changed on the "What JW's DON'T believe in" front, i.e Trinity, Immortal soul etc

The reality it is that the Basics of JW/WT teachings about what they DO believe in have all changed !

So if anyone tries that old platitude on you, that the basic "truth" is still there, don't do as I did and let them get away with it, it ain't true.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

this Elder replied that there "had been changes, but the basics remain the same".

................http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hKOdTFZsTY0/SdQNaaAGYqI/AAAAAAAAORI/jRxUA6fZ-FU/s400/REDMUSH.jpg

.................................................................................................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Gorbatchov
  • villagegirl
    villagegirl

The Basics ? The basics were centered around the core doctrine

and sole reason for going house to house, which was that the generation

that was old enought to understand the events of 1914 would still be alive

to see Armageddon; that was the basic, core doctrine. The idea there is no

immortal soul was taken from the Adventists, and no hellfire was Adventist

as well, preached by Adventists before Russel was even born, and the trinity was

debated by many other religions. How about the basics of Jesus Christ?

When did he get demoted to an angel ?

The basic core doctrines now, are all about the governing body and

its super powers and position as mediator to all mankind,

how creepy is that ? Whats missing is the basics of what Jesus Christ preached,

which was Grace and being born again, and everybody being in the Body of Christ,

those are the basics of Christianity. Jesus never mentioned anything at all about

a governing body or told people he was an angel. Angels always told people they

were angels anywhere they appeared in the Bible.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Beautifully put villagegirl :)

Possibly the core doctrine is regarding the 144, 000. Accordingly, you can be a "Christian" and not follow Christ but rather the "F&DS". Also, none of the New Testament applies to you or neither can you even understand it because it is only for the 144, 000!

Stephen

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

You see Phizzy thats the point with me, the basics do remain the same " conditional love" which is not really love at all. At least thats the way i see it. Anyway you need to leave the religion to find yourself, inside i dont think thats possible.

• designs
    designs

The basics he was referring to probably have to do with Jehovah being God and Jesus being his son but not God and the HS being God's active force. Limited number going to heaven. Armageddon preceeding the paradise earth. No Hell fire. Resurrection of the dead to earth and a few other things haven't changed over the years.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Well, they are still waiting for Armageddon... no change there, lol ...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The change on Generation, who the FDS is and from that, the new viewpoint as to the authority of the Governing Body are all basics as far as unique doctrine goes.

All the other stuff that you mention Designs, has not changed, true, but is not unique to the W.T.

The Unique teachings, which are the touchstone for judging if it is the "truth", have all changed. (Even the blood doctrine of course).

What JW's miss is that none of this new stuff was taught when I was in, and the stuff it replaces is no longer considered "truth", so what I walked away from was not "The Truth".

• KateWild
    KateWild

The reality it is that the Basics of JW/WT teachings about what they DO believe in have all changed !-Phizzy

I can understand it gets to us when we think others have got away with spouting rubbish. You're right you know what you believed when you were in and from the internet you know what JWs believe now. No one else knows that better than you.

Don't let them get away with it again phizzy. But you don't wan't to seem fanatical or impolite, so you most likely parted on good terms and gave him something to think about. It's not always what you say, but how you say it together with being truly happy to be out for so long.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit