Watchtower Really Does Totally Take The Position of Jesus

by OnTheWayOut 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

OnTheWayOut: And now this has been brought to my attention: Jehovah's Witnesses have an insistence on calling their teachings and their way of life and their very organization by the name, "The Truth." Jesus said that he was The Truth. John 14:6 says "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." By calling itself "The Truth" (a title Jesus claimed for himself) the organization was able to usurp Jesus and place itself in Jesus' place officially as mediator. Yes, your average Christian hears "the truth" and thinks of Jesus but your average JW automatically thinks of a printing corporation when he hears "the truth."

Wow! Powerful point. Never thought about that before.

• David7676
    David7676

You all love the truth but you don,t have wisdom as said in daniel

• David7676
    David7676

It looks to me that money and pride premiate these pages.

• Magnum
    Magnum

David7676: You all love the truth but you don,t have wisdom as said in daniel

You just showed us you're like the rest of JWs. You speak in broad, simplistic generalizations. You all are scared of specifics. Your argument is childishly elementary.

So you argue that we don't have wisdom??? We could argue the same about you.

Tell us specifically what it is that leads you to believe we don't have wisdom.

David7676: It looks to me that money and pride premiate these pages.

Yes, there is lot on these pages about money and pride - the JW organization's desire for money and its proud, self-righteous, Pharisaic quality.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It looks to me that money and pride premiate these pages.

Hi Dave.

Many of us are concerned about the WTS constant drive for more money.

Pastor Russell said when the funds seem to be drying up, they will know they have lost Jehovah's backing and support.

Like many good Catholics, many good JWs are unhappy that their voluntary donations are being paid out by the MILLION$ for Child Abuse Cases. There have been many hush-hush settlements, but now a huge verdict where the young woman refused to be quiet and settle. Original award was $28MILLION.

Many of us feel that something is wrong.

Doc

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Thank you for this thread OTWO.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

There is a very old doctrine called the Mystery Doctrine, which according to some, the GB still believes, although they haven't printed anything on it for decades. According to this doctrine, the anointed are "the Christ." Under this view, the anointed (who used to be the FDS) were very much the same thing as Jesus himself.

This thread from Terry is worth re-visiting:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/278783/1/APRIL3d-MEMORIAL-3d-Time-to-review-the-Mystery-Doctrine-secrets#.U3Tkh9JdVj8

Regardless of whether or not this is still official doctrine, at a minimum you get a flavor for why people often get the general feeling you describe.

Here's an excerpt from Terry's thread:

Writing in his book, "Apocalypse Delayed" Penton tells us:

"The Mystery, as understood by Pastor C.T. Russell, meant not only had Jesus offered himself as a ransom sacrifice for mankind, but the body of Christ, the 144,000 members of his church also participated in the ransoming and atoning work" [pg 40]

He went on to say :

"Pastor Russell divined the mediator for the New Covenant was "the Christ" and that expression meant the 144,000 actually participated in Christ's sacrifice for the world" [pg 187 of "Apocalypse Delayed"]

Going back to Russell’s day, the original idea was a distinction between "Christ," who is Jesus, and "the Christ," which is composed of Head (Jesus) and Body (all spirit-begotten Christians).

In Rutherford's day, those who partake of the bread and wine belong to "the Christ" and who share in the glory of Christ (the mystery doctrine).

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sometimes it's a dud thread and then there are threads like this that need no prompting.

Responding to page 1:

Faithful Witness, it was that last point I posted for. It was a new thought to me as well.

Thanks, UBM101.

sparrowdown, Watchtower does love complicated rules more than anything else. So true.

Zebagain, while I have heard that point about Paul, it's a good reminder that Watchtower makes women second class members.

Zoos, I learned quite a bit after leaving that I should have known while I was there following it.

TheWonderofYou, I doubt Watchtower invented any terms but rather just took them from other sources. Other cults use "the truth" and "the way" has been around a long time. Their way of saying "the truth" is all-encompassing: the lifestyle, the teachings, the way they make members think about things. I won't defend or attack what everyone thinks of the Bible subject of a mediator. My point was that Watcthtower did put itself in the place of Jesus there, too.

Thanks for added thoughts, Designs.

Punk of Nice, thanks. Yes- the GB talk of themselves as providing something and insinuate that it came directly from Jehovah. No need for Jesus.

The Searcher, great quotes.

Thanks Blondie. WTS even tries to dictate how prayers are not worthy unless rules are followed.

BU2B, I appreciate your thought about the infomercial known as the Memorial and on talks and literature not focusing on Jesus, but Jehovah and the organization.

Thanks Finkelstein. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

TWOY, try shopping on Amazon or looking at different ads. The internet will adapt to what it thinks you want to look at.

Scary21, they would sooner know nothing but Watchtower teachings.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Yep!

w59 5/1 p. 269 Attain Completeness in the New World Society

To hold to the headship of Christ, it is therefore necessary to obey the organization that he is personally directing. Doing what the organization says is to do what he says.

2 Thessalonians 2:4

He is set in opposition and lifts himself up over everyone who is called "god" or an object of reverence, so that he sits down in the temple of The God, publicly showing himself to be a god.

abe

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Absolutely!

Who else would have the audacity to re-invent Jesus Christs baptismal commandment other than someone who thinks they must have more authority than him?

They even admit that the "conclusion of the system of things" has not yet happened:

Matthew 28:18-20

And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: "All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. 19  Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20  teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."

abe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit