Evidence For Life After Death

by Space Madness 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Mikado
    Mikado

There is none, sorry..

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

@cofty

People dream every single night but we can't always remember our dreams. Not being able to remember anything doesn't mean you weren't conscious.

• cofty
    cofty

Space - you need to read about the difference between sleep, unconsciousness and death.

• pbrow
    pbrow

I guess the appropriate question then is where physically in the body does the consciousness originate from then? If you were to take an xray or ultrasound where would we find the center that houses our consciousness? (if its not the brain) Maybe you think it is some type of force?

Every part of the body has nerves that eventually go back to the brain. All information is processed in and by the brain.

I think your premise is flawed when making the statement that consciouness is separate from the brain. By assuming that statement is correct you are disregarding neuroscience. If you start from the idea that somehow consciousness is separate from the brain because of a religious or spiritual belief and I start from the idea that all consciousness comes from the brain well then I think we are just going to have to disagree.

pbrow

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

@pbrow

Searching for the source of consciousness in the brain is like searching for the source of the sound inside a radio.

• pbrow
    pbrow

I agree, obviously you cant see the soundwaves but they can be searched or measured. Again, its science. Its like cofty said, there is no ghost in the machine. Science is the tool that helps to explain why radios work, why planes fly and why medications work. Science has been kicking the shit out of supernatural explanations for thousands of years. Unfortunately, as the late great Christopher Hitchens says as long as we are afraid of death and the dark we will have religion (I think he was quoting Freud though) We will continue to have science to keep the shit kickers busy for eons.

pbrow

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am 100% with pbrow in the first comment to your thread. It's all in your head.

Despite what me may think, it appears our brain isnt in complete control.

If you are trying to implicate that our "instinct" to eat or take a drug is not in control, fine. But to imply that something outside of our brain is saying "Diet" or "Go to rehab" I am not with you.

While our brains are more developed than those of other animals on earth, we often see animals sharing food or doing things for the benefit of their young ahead of themselves. There is evidence that what we do today has come from evolution. I am not the expert, but I imagine there are animals that stop eating in order to remain fast or able to fly or leap. Sure, it's a long way from wanting to look slender, but it is there in the animal world.

People have always been making logically-flawed conclusions:
    I don't understand why the sky rumbles- must be the gods.
    Spoiled meat develops flies- spontaneous generation of life.

The argument from ignorance is one of the worst- assuming that a claim is true because it cannot be proven false,

• designs
    designs

cofty- obviously you haven't seen Stephen's videos....

• KateWild
    KateWild

Many people believe in life after death, some even believe in a type of contiousness continuing on after out brain is dead as you mention. Personally I find this hard to comprehend. I don't see the purpose of it either, I have lost my Aunti and Uncle that are very dear to me. If they are contious somewhere it would be purposeful if they maintained contact with me. If I do experince afterlife I will be proved wrong and happily so as my life would not have ended.

It's a shame to admit this life is all we have, especially if we have wasted it in a cult. But to accept it and live a good and wholesome life that our loved ones will remember is the best thing we can do.

Kate xx

• Viviane
    Viviane

This is not a good analogy because your left and right arms are seperate therefore they can resist each other.

Separate from what? Each other? Sure, but they are still both physically part of my body. That's the point.

You right arm can't resist your right arm and your left arm can't resist your left arm. You're actually making my case for me.

What do you mean? My right arm absolutely CAN resist my right arm. So far, I haven't done anything except show that you have yet to show any way to divise the body from itself. If you want to go down the route of "but your arms are separate arms", you can, but it actually ends up not helping you at all.

I haven't studied neuroscience but that doesn't sound right at all.

So you freely admit you don't know what you are talking about but you feel qualified to tell people who have they are wrong?

This is the first time I heard of a healthy brain countering itself.

You keep saying that, but that's normal behavior and in no way proves consciousness is physically separate from the physical brain.

You haven't connected the dots or advanced a testable idea. What is this consciousness made of? How is it tied to a specific brain? Where does it come from? Can be he harmed? Can it freeze? Can it be caught in a bottle? Why has no consciousness from a dead person ever come back?

It's easy to make statements, it's hard to explain things when you, self-admittedly, don't actually know what you are talking about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit