Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans as Antarctic Ice Melts

by bohm 92 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

@shanagirl

if you had a decent point you could make it in a sentence or two of your own. People tend not to read all that pasted stuff.

Meanwhile awaiting on an answer to my question pls?

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

Exactly, to claim as you do that what happens in the centuries to come is of little concern to us today shows a lack of humanity and little understanding of what is happening around us with our industrial pollution.

If an Aquifer (like the Ogalala) gets contaminated how long does it take for the pollutants to leave, try in the thousands of years.

I don't claim any such thing, designs. I have provided an aritcle that you have obviously not read in it's entirety. You know, you all sound like a bunch of JW's decending on one who uses critical thinking rather than believing in your latest doom and gloom hype. Give it a rest. You can all continue to expouse the NYT "scientific" publication proof and I will continue to form my belief that Global warmin is NOT human driven based but driven by many other factors puny humans cannot predict.

Shana

• designs
    designs

I am an activist, I won't 'give it a rest'. What environment the earth has in future generation should be on everyone's minds and present actions.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Descending to name-calling is a sure sign that the frontal lobes are taking a rest. It is both unfair to call the glacial scientists "alarmist" and to claim Shanagirl has no humanity.

None of us sound like a bunch of JW's. C'mon.

• designs
    designs

Consider a nuclear power plant such as San Onofre. Our environmental group, along with others, were successful in getting the license to operate cancelled. Now it is a waiting period to cool the plant (50 years) and the rods are so radioactive we have no place to store them currently. We have to think decades in the future. I won't be here when they dismantle the power plant but my children and grandchildren will be and those generations will have to put science to use in dealing with industrial waste created today.

• designs
    designs

Something in all of our community backyards, so to speak, are our Landfills and the environmental impact these have now and for centuries to come.

Studies are ongoing with regards to the temperature rise from Landfills, air quality, and Life-cycle.

http://gwri.calpoly.edu

http://www.intechopen.com

• talesin
    talesin

jgnat

No, not replacing the boreal forests with hemp. Yes, it would be extremely ignorant and yes, really 'duh', to think that a hemp field = a forest. Having been an activist for over 20 years, I am aware of ecosystems, etc. lol :D

Using hemp to manufacture the products, such as paper, instead of cutting down the forests for the same use. Hemp is a 'renewable resource', and doesn't take 30 to 150 years to mature, like trees.

tal

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well that sounds better than the proponent on the TED discussion. So the idea is that the deforested areas would be replanted with trees. I did a quick boo and it appears that industrial hemp needs well-drained soils, and will grow fairly far north but the northern crop will not produce seed.

It appears that good farmland is needed to grow hemp. So would it replace the existing canola, oat, and wheat crops?

Canada Soils

So I am guessing the green and yellow areas are best suited for trees. The orange and red would be either grassland (forage) crops or hemp/wheat/canola/sugar beet/oats etc.

• designs
    designs

What generally follows politicians who deny industrial pollution's effect on the environment is money from Oil interests.

• besty
    besty

if anyone is interested in why shanagirl and 78% of other Americans get it so badly wrong you can find most of the answer here

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2013EF000226/full

well done to the 22% - I have met quite a few of you in person and its not all bad! (stuckinamovement recently :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit