Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans as Antarctic Ice Melts

by bohm 92 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2023590735_apxsciantarcticmelt.html

This report seems to assert that "hundreds of years" will pass before anything worrisome or dramatic happens.

Is it likely that we'll all be long dead before a profound fufillment of these prophecies happen?

metatron

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

All the evidence is that the worst is happening much sooner than even the worst case scenarios of even 5 years ago.

If the land ice goes, that is a huge sea level increase.

• metatron
    metatron

From the Associated Press:

"The worrisome outcomes won't be seen soon. Scientists are talking hundreds of years......."

Am I misquoting here?

metatron

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

No, but this is the pattern: they predict, the hard right mocks, and then the worst case scenario shows up decades ahead of time.

• metatron
    metatron

So, the article predicts a clear problem emerging hundreds of years from now?

Global warming (over decades) is a scientific fact. Rising CO2 levels are scientific fact. Making long range predictions about these trends is not fact, it involves speculation. This is the critical point that upsets me.

My speculation involves a question: why are the major media and so many in academia so obsessed with disasters that likely are many years away - if they come at all or if humans cannot compensate for them?

I conclude (my speculation, again) that is a deliberate distraction - generated because other problems are so immediate, dangerous and probable.

metatron

• zebagain
    zebagain

Dig a ditch near City of Adelaide to the ocean and let the ocean flood into central Australia and Australia becomes an atoll once again. Anyone for fishing off Eyres Rock? I have read a small book by Vaclav Claus a professor of Physics and (I think) the former president of the Czech republic, He stated that venus and Mars are also heating up.
    His conclusion is the sun is in one of its cycles but also warns we have nothing to be smug about.

I saw a brief report that the US Navy on Antarctic patrol was checking on a large ice sheet to find it was ..gone. Instead there was a new bay miles accross with land as its shore!

For me? plant trees!

• barry
    barry

Ice in the antarctic has increased substantually so maybe that will offset the melting ice in the arctic.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Barry: Ice in the antarctic has increased substantually so maybe that will offset the melting ice in the arctic.

OK, I'll play.

Can you explain why melting ice in Antarctica would have a different affect on sea levels than melting ice in the Arctic? Please give a detailed, scientific answer.

I'll give you a hint: there was this old dude from Syracuse that could explain it to you.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

I live in Vancouver, but in a high rise 8 stories off the ground,

hope that is high enough. Do they predict a sudden rise ?

like a tsunami ? Or more gradual, over months ?

• bohm
    bohm

barry: Ice in the antarctic has increased substantually so maybe that will offset the melting ice in the arctic.

ah yes, the substantial increase in the arctic:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit