Scientists Warn of Rising Oceans as Antarctic Ice Melts

by bohm 92 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

The collapse of large parts of the ice sheet in West Antarctica appears to have begun and is almost certainly unstoppable, with global warming accelerating the pace of the disintegration, two groups of scientists reported Monday.

The finding, which had been feared by some scientists for decades, means that a rise in global sea level of at least 10 feet may now be inevitable. The rise may continue to be relatively slow for at least the next century or so, the scientists said, but sometime after that it will probably speed up so sharply as to become a crisis.

“This is really happening,” said Thomas P. Wagner, who runs NASA’s programs on polar ice and helped oversee some of the research. “There’s nothing to stop it now. But you are still limited by the physics of how fast the ice can flow.”

Two papers scheduled for publication this week, in the journals Science and Geophysical Research Letters, attempt to make sense of an accelerated flow of glaciers seen in parts of West Antarctica in recent decades.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/science/earth/collapse-of-parts-of-west-antarctica-ice-sheet-has-begun-scientists-say.html?_r=0

• Zoos
    Zoos

Those people from NASA don't know what they're talking about. Rush Limbaugh said so.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

What should we do?

• talesin
    talesin

I guess we are past the tipping point. :'(

Some days, I'm glad I don't have kids that will have to deal with our ruination of this beautiful planet. Scientists have been screaming about this at the top of their lungs for decades. When I think of beautiful things like polar bears, losing their habitat, and slowly starving to death, because of, well, our greed, it makes me ashamed of my species. Kinda like smoking - the corps. milked it until the real science was leaked by a whistleblower.

Well, the Arctic Ice Cap is the whistleblower of the 21st Century.

Good article, Bohm, just the same.

tal

• jgnat
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I wonder if every one on earth drank 1 extra glass of water per day if we could bring down the water level???

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioPa1URjZ_Y

I would start buying ocean front property in Arizona.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Don't sweat it, it's just part of earth's normal cycle.... It warms up and it cools off. It has been doing this for millions of years.

• talesin
    talesin

lol! yup, that's it, SW. *wink* BTW, one of the places they predict will be good is my region, say northern New England and eastern Canada (east - not PQ or ON) ... we should have a more moderate climate than most .... and there's high ground, what with the Appalachians tailing off up here.

But meh, I'll long be worm food by the time that happens.

I *do* care about Gaia, though. It's kinda sad, so I don't dwell on it.

xx

tal

• cofty
    cofty

Don't sweat it, it's just part of earth's normal cycle....

All but a few experts disagree. The evidence that you are mistaken is very strong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit