The Books are Cooked: Grossly Misleading chart and graphic

by Tech49 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tech49
    Tech49

Are the charts and number graphics you see in the WT and AWAKE articles factual? Or are they misleading?

Many have already discussed how verses, quotes, and facts are cherry-picked to fit a particular situation.

I came across another BLATANT misrepresentation of facts, in a grossly misleading chart-graphic. So far beyond factual that I almost laughed the moment I saw it.

Please open your current study copy of the WT (dated March 15), and we can review. On the very first page (page 2), inside cover, is the chart highlighting the GROWTH OF PIONEERS in Australia. As you can clearly see, EVIDENTLY there was an ENORMOUS spike in Aux, Reg, and Special Pioneers over a 10-year period. For those of you without the current magazine, it shows Aux Pioneers in 2003 of approx 6200, and in 2013 about 21,000. Reg Pioneers in 2003 about 3,000, and in 2013 just over 5,000. Special Pioneers in 2003 an abismal 12, while in 2013 the number flew to just over 100 !

At first glance, to the average Borg member, these figures are fantastic, and a great witness, showing the HUGE effect that Holy Spirit must EVIDENTLY be having in Australia.

But if you stop and think about it for just a few brief minutes, you can see the fallacy. What they dont show, and dont remind you of, so as to not pop your little bubble, is that a huge change occurred in the years between 2003 and 2013. I will just focus for a minute on the AUXILARY PIONEERS, as this has shown the largest jump in numbers, OBVIOUSLY because of the efforts of the HOLY SPIRIT.

Here is the change: The required number of hours to "aux pioneer" was dropped dramatically. In fact, almost cut in half. So now almost anyone can sign up to pioneer, and "promise" to get their 30 hours in. (sidepoint: What happens if you dont make your hours? Answer: Nothing.) So OF COURSE the numbers went up! DUH! And then, the other half of the equation. You can sign up to Aux Pioneer 3 times a year or more, and get your 30 hrs in, during special campaign months (Memorial, District Convention, Special tract). So in effect, 1 person siging up 3 times a year (for 30 hrs each time) becomes a figure of 3 Aux Pioneers, for chart purposes.

The other thing they dont mention in ANY literature or charts is actually how many of those pioneers MADE THEIR HOUR requirement! When I served as secretary to the congregation (in multiple congregations), it was a RARITY to have anyone make the actual quotas. Regular Pioneers were the absolute worst! Special tract campaigns were a close second! We would regularly have 30-40 people sign up to Aux Pioneer for a tract campaign, and it would be a miracle if 25% actually got the 30, or even close. (sidebar: one CO visit we had, he focused on starting bible studies. He made sure to tell everyone that if you had 2 return visits on a person in one week, it could be counted as a study. So at the end of the week, he was able to report to the branch that the congregation had started 28 NEW bible studies this week! Absolutely stupid. Amazing but true, and the next month those 28 studies somehow evaporated.)

In review.... just in case you didnt already get the point....the numbers and charts you see are a sham. They are fake, are embellished upon, and are made up. Just a little thinking and research will remind you that you can't believe everything you see, even when it comes from the Most Holy.

Jack Harper, Tech49

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Holy Moly, Miss Molly! You can be on my baseball team, any time. Good catch!!! lol

What a rinky-dink, man made up religion JW.org is.

How stupid, do they think "their" people, are???

LoisLane

• hoser
    hoser

Yes, there is no way to independantly verify any number printed in a watchtower or yearbook.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I wonder if we went back to the 2003 yearbook (or whatever one records 2003 activity), if the numbers would match up??

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

But just remember we have had so much growth 277,000 people baptised we need a bunch of new congregations. Don't think for a moment that most of these were born ins already filling a seat or that if they were all new that would amount to only 2.4 new people per congregation. And how dare you do any math in the year book to see that over 100K left last year. Damn it just send us some money!!!!!!!!!!

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Oh what a minute ignore Crazyguy! Send me the money!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

WT loves to brag about numbers, but really, when you look at "growth", as in baptisms, it's stagnant. So what does an "increase" in Pioneers really mean if the results remain unchanged?? If a secular company tripled or quadrupled its sales force, yet sales saw no increase, I don't think shareholders would see it as "growth"- they'd see it as a huge waste of effort and resources.

As pointed out, of the 277,000 baptisms last year it's fair to say at least half are children of JWs. Of the remaining half, a very small percentage can be attributed directly to the door-to-door work. So, 1.7 billion hours a year yields maybe a few thousand bonafide converts?? Dismal at best. At the last DC I attended the Bethel speaker was bragging about the last year's tremendous growth: 260,000 baptisms. The audience clapped in awe. I laughed, because few, if any JWs in the audience, realizes it wasn't too many years ago when there were 360,000 or more baptisms every year.

• pbrow
    pbrow

UUGGHH.... I wanted to punch you at " Please open your current study copy of the WT"

That aside.... good observation

pbrow

• Tech49
    Tech49

Here is yet another example of misleading charts/graphics, pure scemantics to make the "increase" look INCREDIBLE !!! :

In this weeks Study Edition of the WT, April 2014, inside the cover, we have a brief overview of the country of TURKEY.

Population: 75.6million

Publishers: 2,312

Bible Studies: 1,632

Publisher/Public Ratio: 1:32,711

And then there is this little sentence: Since 2004 the number of Regular Pioneers in Turkey has increased by 245% !

Praise G-hova !!

That sounds INCREDIBLE !! Surely Holy Spirit is making the work increase like WILDFIRE !!!

Wait, Look again, oh all ye faithful.

Let's take just a second to look at the figures, and in particular the last sentence. The 2014 YB shows the stats for service year 2013, there were a total of 278 Regular Pioneers. Quick math will show you that, without having a 2004 YB on hand, there would have been about 113 Regular Pioneers in 2004. So over 10 years, an increase of 165 or so. Ok, so then why dont they just say that? Why must we use a different number to make things look EVEN BIGGER!!? We know the answer. It's all scemantics, using a twisted reality to make things look shiny and brighter than they really are!

The bigger question I immediately had, was WHERE IS THE INCREASE? For 75.6 MILLION people in Turkey (roughly about 1/4 the population of the USA), and with only 29 congregations of 81 publishers each (on average, according to the 2014 YB)? A quick comparison would be like having just over 100 congregations in all of the USA....

What is everyone doing? Look at that publisher ratio..... 1 witness for every 32,711 people !!!?? Isn't that a HUGE territory? Shouldnt it be a land RIPE with increase, given the population of worldlings, those just BEGGING for someone to show them the path to TRUE HAPPINESS!?? In this modern day society, why isnt there a REAL increase in Turkey? (I dont have the answer, just wondering out loud...)

True, Turkey has only legally recognized JW's since 2007, but there have been "pioneers" there for over a hundred years.!

Apparently, G-Hovah doesnt like Turkey as much as the rest of us.....

Jack Harper, Tech49

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ Tech49: Apparently, G-Hovah doesnt like Turkey as much as the rest of us

especially at "pagan" holiday times, like Thanksgiving...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit