WHY DO ONLY A FEW START TO QUESTION DOCTRINE CHANGES AND NOT EVERYONE?

by disillusioned 2 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

In the WT system, doubting the GB in any way is seen as a great evil, meriting annihilation at Armageddon.

Given this level of mind control, I think the question is not so much why most JWs don't question changes but rather why so many actually do.

I used to think that every JW has some doubts, but I've run across a number of them who never seem to question anything, even for a moment. Either that, or they are very good actors.

• kaik
    kaik
    JW do not have very well defined system of beliefs, and majority of people are ambivalent toward specific doctrines. The only exception is veneration of FDS, rest of the theology is irrelevant to ordinary witness. If WT would preach existence Trinity and hell under new light, majority of witnesses would not even care about the sudden flip-flop doctrine. JWs are taught not to question the authority of FDS, and they would not disagree with it as the beliefs toward specific doctrine is irrelevant to spiritual survival. JWs believe that sailing the ship of FDS will guarantee an eternal life, regardless what the FDS had claimed.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I think it is unnatural to never have questions or to agree with everything.

When I was studying they praised me for asking questions, then, after baptism questions became a sign of weakness. I shoulda known this was a bad sign.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

sparrowdown: When I was studying they praised me for asking questions, then, after baptism questions became a sign of weakness. I shoulda known this was a bad sign.

Yes, you should have. We ALL should have!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh no... you can ask questions...

As long as they are questions with a formulated answer already given in print by the GB, and your motives for asking are in order to cement your faith in the TRUTH as dictated by the GB....

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Oub - Even after baptism I continued to have questions I just learned to keep them to myself, as everytime I asked some obvious but inconvenient question the reaction it caused in others was akin to a naughty puppy getting smacked over the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

Didn't take me long to figure out that appropriate JW "questions" are actually statements in disguise

such as: "How did you enjoy the meeting?"

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

YES sparrow!

Or:

"That was a great talk / assembly/ day in service wasn't it?"

Those sort of leading questions really irk me....still do!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    The GB have their thought police in every congregation.
  • campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

Someone mentioned earlier, that the vast majority of people go along with the staus quo in life, doing as their told, doing what they perceive they should do because every one else does it. Only a very few start to question life, and where they are heading, and think about the bigger role of humanity.

Ironically, its the same attitude and dissatisfaction that draws people to the JWs. I suppose that is why they have one of the lowest rates of retention.

I'm guessing a lot of people join the JWs because it's something different to the mainstream, in a sense they are rebelling against the world system and it's ideologies. But if your bringing in people who have that "rebel" streak in them, it's only a matter of time until they rebel against the teachings of the WT. whether it takes 1 year or 40 years.

This is why i think a lot of people question doctrine but keep it too themselves. They are rebellious and non conformist in nature, but a lot of the time, by the time their mind catches onto the the cracks in the doctrine, it is too late. By this time they are in their 40's, 50's or 60's they are in deep with a lot of family "in", and their entire life and world view revolves around JWdom.

They rebelled against the norm as they are non conformist in nature, but then finally realize when it is too late, that in actual fact they did conform, just to a different narrative.

They realize they SOLD OUT.

Which is one of the major reasons i believe their is so much unhappiness in the congregations.

• a watcher
    a watcher

I'm not in it for the doctrine.

I'm in it for Jehovah, Jesus, and my friends in the congregations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit