WHY DO ONLY A FEW START TO QUESTION DOCTRINE CHANGES AND NOT EVERYONE?

by disillusioned 2 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

JWs suppress doubts. Eventually something might happen that makes them feel angry or betrayed by the organisation. In my case it was not a change in doctrine but the way they did it. They treated us like fools.

That is when you give yourself the permission to entertain the doubts that were already below the surface and to investigate further.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Intensionally oppressed analytical thinking upon the given information supported mostly out of fear and ignorance.

JWS are forced to accept the information from the WTS as if was from god or guiding spirit, so to reject what is given is perceived as a punishable sin.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

There’s a couple of books that shed some light on this question.
    “The True Beliver” by Eric Hoffer and “The Believing Brain” and “The Science of Good and Evil” by Michael Shermer”

People in general don’t like change, because change is disruptive. If the status quo is tolerable, then most people “Prefer” to go along with the current flow. But there is always a few people out of the “Group of Humanity” that always want to know more about the world and life. In the process of learning, they come to realize that the path they are in- is a dead end and they need to formulate a more viable trajectory into the future. It’s the brain’s response as a result of any new information it has received to give the person a “Wake up call” thus prodding people to abandon undesirable situations like (Dead end jobs, bad relationships, and cults)

But for the majority of people, as long as they are not affected personally by ridiculous demands, they will prefer just to go along with the flow.

It’s people like us “apostates that open the door to knowledge of the world. Remember Galileo? He went against the current religious idea that the earth was the center of the universe and the sun revolved around the earth. He was considered as apostate and found guilty of apostasy and a heresy.

But he was right. And everyone else was wrong.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I think more question doctrine than we might imagine. As stated in comments above, many question, yet suppress their feelings. Some have expressed their personal beliefs that not everything is true, but then fall back into the mantra: "Who else does the preaching as Jesus commands? Who else holds out a hope of everlasting life on a paradise earth? Who else at least TRIES to teach the Bible to other people?" Many simply can't see past all of this, which, to be honest, are very, very large incentives to staying in.

I believe JWs by and large DO think, but I believe they are too tired to address any questions they might have. They're kept too busy with various activities (meetings, family worship night, field service, preparing for each meeting (even at a cursory level), videos on the new broadcasting site on an almost daily basis, daily bible reading, daily text, two new WT and one Awake magazine every month, talks, assemblies, CO visits, and so on.) Who has time to do real research? With just living life, it's hard to find the time or energy to do so, so most, like I did for years, suppress any and all questions. Or, they may think the GB is smarter than they are, so must know better. As my wife keeps asking me: "You don't think you're smarter than the Governing Body, do you?"

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    The same people who accept the authority of the GB will question the government, the medical establishment and more. They are willing to recognize the foibles of those institutional authorities as conspiracy or malice, but the GB can lead them to an early death via blood madness and they cry more! They think they have found a reliable authority to submit their will to and so they continue no matter what. Its down to ego and change avoidance. Better to be a janitor who holds the knowledge of "the Truth" than one who simply is sweeping till he dies like everyone else.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i think anyone who seriously believes their god is going to destroy everyone on earth--any day now--except those chosen few who claim to be in the same religion-----must be mentally diseased.

oh--hang on--isnt that one of their pet phrases ?

• stillin
    stillin
    There is some sort of self-affirming in being able to say, "what WE used to think was...but now WE believe this new way."
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

JWs do question their faith! They question it every day, week, month, year and decade! Otherwise, they would not have cognitive dissonance!

Unwavering belief = ZERO C.D

The WTBTS puts out a constant flow of F.O.G inducing propaganda to make the process of questioning doctrine a painful experience. Otherwise, there would be no WTBTS!

Only the weak minded and fearful stayed on with Rutherfraud. It's been 100 years of brainwashing since then. Remember, JWs are brainwashed, period. Their neurons take a different path than the normal, rational mind. Then, if the ever do question the JW system, it's like a cattle prod to the frontal cortex!

DD

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    stillin: There is some sort of self-affirming in being able to say, "what WE used to think was...but now WE believe this new way."

Yes, it is the illusion of self-revelation when it isn't that at all - it is a deceptive practice by the WTS to give the individual the illusion of intelligence and a false sense of power.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Ditto to everything already stated in this thread!

Add to the situation, the constant talks and articles and SONGS that stress: "Listen, Obey and Be Blessed, when you hear God's will expressed....."

(oh that song really irks me no end...!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit