Daily Mail Article: UK 'blood recycling' breakthrough will let JWs have major surgery

by AndersonsInfo 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2614169/UK-blood-recycling-breakthrough-let-Jehovahs-Witnesses-major-surgery.html

UK 'blood recycling' breakthrough will let Jehovah's Witnesses have major surgery

• Scientist created machine that recycles blood lost in operations
    • Will allow Jehovah's Witnesses to have major surgery as rules out need for blood transfusions which their faith forbids
    • Gadget could save NHS millions by reducing demand for donated blood

By Steven Adams 26 April 2014

Recovery: Julie Penoyer's faith forbids transfusions

Copy link to paste in your message

Recovery: Julie Penoyer's faith forbids transfusions

British scientists have created a groundbreaking machine that recycles blood lost in operations.

The invention will allow Jehovah’s Witnesses to have major surgery because it rules out the need for blood transfusions, which their faith forbids.

The technology could also save the NHS millions by reducing the demand for donated blood.

The Hemosep filtering machine was used recently on Jehovah’s Witness Julie Penoyer, 50. Doctors told the freelance translator she needed to have part of her aorta – the largest blood vessel in the body – replaced because it could burst at any time, killing her.

She suffers from a rare inherited condition called Marfan Syndrome, which makes her cartilage highly stretchy, meaning the walls of the top of her aorta were dangerously thin.

But she said she would agree to surgery only if she could have the operation without a transfusion. Jehovah’s Witnesses believe it is against God’s will to ‘ingest blood’ in any way.

The team at the Trent Cardiac Centre in Nottingham then mentioned the Hemosep machine.

Unlike other blood recovery devices, it enables the collection not only of red blood cells but also of crucial cells and enzymes that help it to clot, meaning Mrs Penoyer could have the operation without receiving any blood products.

She underwent the seven-hour operation in late January and is now recovering well after spending just 13 days in hospital. Last night she said: ‘People tell me they can’t believe I’ve recently had heart surgery. At last I can breathe properly again.’

During the operation Mrs Penoyer lost more than two pints of blood. But this was pumped straight back into her body.

The machine works by filtering blood through a plastic membrane that captures vital red blood cells, clotting cells called platelets and enzymes called clotting factors.

Jonathan Bain, who operated the machine, explained: ‘We had to have everything connected in one continuous loop, so at no point would the blood have left her body’s circulation. We went to great lengths to make sure the loop was not broken.’

Discovery: The machine rules out the need for blood transfusions and could save the NHS millions by reducing the demand for donated blood

Copy link to paste in your message

Discovery: The machine rules out the need for blood transfusions and could save the NHS millions by reducing the demand for donated blood

He added: ‘This was a life-saving operation because the danger was that her aorta could have ruptured at any time. That would have been catastrophic.’ But it would have been nearly impossible to save her life after a rupture without resorting to a blood transfusion, he added.

The machine was the brainchild of Terry Gourlay, professor of biomedical engineering at Strathclyde University in Glasgow.

He took his idea to Brightwake, a Midlands-based firm, which makes wound dressings and other high-tech medical products.

Founder Steve Cotton said: ‘It shows what is possible with a bit of British ingenuity.’ He has calculated the device could save the NHS more than £10 million a year by reducing the demand for donated blood.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2614169/UK-blood-recycling-breakthrough-let-Jehovahs-Witnesses-major-surgery.html#ixzz312lVkFbK

• cofty
    cofty

It's amazing how doctor's desire to help people motivates them to go to such lengths.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Isn't this just the cellsaver?

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I wonder if the R& D costs of this could be charged to the WBTS? I wonder about the claim that it could reduce the need for blood donations as my understanding is that it only applies in a controlled operating theatre environment. For loss of blood in emergencies, donated blood will still be necessary I owuld guess.

• cofty
    cofty

Isn't this just the cellsaver? - dhoh

"Unlike other blood recovery devices, it enables the collection not only of red blood cells but also of crucial cells and enzymes that help it to clot"

FUBM - Yes I agree, it will only work for elective surgery. I would prefer it to a transfusion.

• steve2
    steve2

I've got to hand it to the recent and current "breed" of medical health professionals who take a highly ethical approach to treatment and do all they can to ensure they practise within the constraints of their patients beliefs. This reflects thinking outside the square, providing evidence that even "worldly" people are guided by worthy values and beliefs.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

As an Englishman i grew up with the dailymail. Ots now also an American newspaper. I think this article was only in the American Daily Mail?

• trujw
    trujw

This is great news. It actually helps us in a number of ways. It takes away the messiah complex for the blood issue( with some surgeries) and also will save lives. The blood doctrine as I and many believe wasn't about the bible but a way to seperate JW's from the rest of society and the "we are the truth becuase only we dont accept blood". The rally cry of "we will die for our belief's" can hopefully fade more and more with new technolgy. I just hope they dont try to come up with some new light of nonesense in order to feel persecuted. I don't think this is as easy to accomplish with the brain trust currently in charge at HQ and the internet.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

trujw - "...'we will die for our beliefs'..."

Reminds me of a quote that was one of my little wake-up moments:

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong." - Bertrand Russell

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

At least they might now save the lives of their children and others and not feel guilty about being alive!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit