Did you ever write your disassociation letter?

by make yourself 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• make yourself
    make yourself

Thanks for the response confusedandalone it seems like that would be easy to do. Just rip the band aid off.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Yes ripping off the bandaid and moving on was far more enjoyable for me.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I wrote one out on my IPad but never sent it and I put all of my anger and feelings down like I was going to send it. I felt some relief after I did this. We faded 21 months ago and I don't plan on sending it at this point. I am not sure what is the right thing to do. If you send it then you are telling them you agree with them and you are playing by their rules as Blondie said but then I understand what Confused said about cutting ties to an organization you don't want your name attached to. When we faded we told ourselves to take our time and don't do anything on the spur of the moment and that has worked for us so far. If they come after us then that is a different thing and we will make a decision when that time comes which I expect it during Christmas because I am going to put up some outside decorations this year.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

I still don't see why it is considered playing by their rules. No matter how many times someone tries to explain it... I just can't see it. I am not being combatative.

I just always saw it better to leave when I wanted and let them know then hiding or dodging them until they throw you out. Worse still a fade leaves you theoretically a jw for life.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I am still scared of losing what little contact I have with my mom and sister. It would break my mom's heart. I know Jesus says to choose him over family. I guess if it comes down to that...then I would have to, but there's no pressing need to do it. I have considered it, though, because I am not a part of them anymore.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

My husband and I sent a letter addressed to the kh so anyone could have opened it. We just said both of us wanted no longer to be associated with jw's or known as jw's, and we both signed. We haven't heard a word from anyone since but I'm pretty sure it took, becuz nobody came around before the memorial, which they used to do.

Marina

• finally awake
    finally awake

I've never written a disassociation letter. I simply quit attending, and refused to answer the phone when any witnessess called. When I see witnesses in public, I respond if they greet me but that's it - no long personal conversations in the middle of WalMart. I don't feel the need to repudiate my association publicly, although I have discussed it with pretty much all of my post-exit new friends.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Where did this idea of a disassociation letter come from anyway....is there some sort of JW rule somewhere that says this is the thing to do?

• blondie
    blondie

I'm neither hiding or dodging. They know where I live. No calls from them for years now...we see them in the malls and on the street, a wave or a hi, and on we all go about our business. I have nothing I have to prove to them, done that already, no more pearls before swine.

If you want or need to send a letter, be assured that they will stop reading after they realize this is a kiss off letter. Realize that your jw family and "friends" will most likely avoid you, a few might have contact secretly but not openly. So be prepared for what might happen emotionally.

If you really want to make your point, I have suggested in the past to run a column in the newspaper or one of those weekly rags. A manifesto so to speak, might reach more people.

JWN is a wonderful platform to reach people who are looking for new viewpoints and experiences.

Blondie, in plain sight

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

Op it's a personal decision. Do what you think is best. Writing a letter is not merely about making a point to them as I am sure you are aware. Many people want no link to that filth. We ther it is a one sentence letter or a 5 page letter to state your desire it's up to you. I wish you the best and remember there are always friends here for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit